What tool is this?

pjf134

Active User
Registered
While cleaning up my shop I found this tool, don't know what it's for or how I wound up with it. It says Cleveland punch & shear wks co. 13/16" 9531 on it ( see pic). Does anyone know what it does and whats it for, I assume a punch of some kind.
Paul

DCP_0471.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes It is a punch.
All you need now is a die set, punch holder, bottom punch, stripper plate, shoulder bolts and springs. Oh you will need a punch/stamping press as well. The punch is severly damaged. It should be nice and sharp on the cutting edge.
The little center point is to help cause the slug to pop off the punch. One usually does not want to punch again with the previous stamped waste stuck to the punch.

Thanks,
I guess I will have to machine it down to make some other kind of tool, since I do not have a press.
Thanks,
Paul

Nice piece of tool steel usually. Likely a bit hard. You will have to anneal it if it is still hard.

Looks like it came from an IronWorker or equivalent. No much use without the machine, and lower die. And yes, pretty hard. Will have to be ground, or possibly CBN or diamond machined.

Thanks,
I was going to make a punch for certain type of gasket cutting and this might just work out. I will try carbide to see if it will cut it then go from there. I did find some other tools while cleaning I made years ago, and I did remember what they were for, so my memory is not gone totally. I have a good memory, just don't last too long. LOL
Paul

Right, no diamond. That's what I get for watching tv while posting. Not paying attention. Apologies.

I tried to machine that tool today and it is hard, I used a HSS bit first, it did cut barely and dulled quick. The main problem I did have was chucking it up, it was not square and not round either, but playing around with it for awile I did get it to cut using HSS. I will have to try carbide next time. I think all that punching it did thru it out of wack.
Paul

Throw it into the fire for awhile. That will soften it.

I was hoping my neighbor had a fire going in his fire pit, but not today. Maybe I will ask him to start one and bring over some tube stakes and my little tool too. Sounds like a plan to me.
Paul

Back