What To Use Instead Of A 1 Inch Chucking Reamer

Bore and hone seems like a better approach, but as a rank beginner I have been getting a lot of mileage out of an Indian set of expanding reamers from eBay. They have worked well for me.

Criterion style adjustable boring head and a boring bar .0005"-.001 under and hone to size.

Criterion style adjustable boring head and a boring bar .0005"-.001 under and hone to size.
Just bore the hole with a fine feed and tapfree for a lubricant unless it is cast iron (bore dry) then polish with abrasive paper on a wood stick. The guru of smaller marine steam engines, Cliff Blackstaffe said "not to worry about machining marks or blow holes in a casting, "the rings will never know they are there". Cast iron bores, rings, and pistons are quite friendly with each other. The surfaces will wear into each other with the result of smooth surfaces bearing on each other. The reaming is unnecessary, a good tool finish is all that is needed, use a boring tool with a little radius at the nose with a comparitivly light feed then some emery to knock off the high spots, and all should be well, then size the piston and rings accordingly. I would not use adjustable reamers of the Critchley type, as they tend to chatter; on the other hand the solid adjustable reamers with spiral flutes do not have nearly so much of this tendency.

Being a blind hole you will find it difficult if not impossible to hone straight with a spring loaded brake cyl honing tool,it will always bell mouth. A sunnen hone will hone straight,but the stones do not extend beyond the holder and therefore will not hone to the end of the bore. So do as benmychree suggested and it will be fine.

Back