What to clean old Cosmoline off stuff?

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, what is best to clean 30 year old cosmoline off stuff without removing paint. Found some stuff but still covered in old hard cosmoline for the last 30 some years, do not want to remove the paint just the thick nasty dried out cosmoline protectant. Also would like if I did not have to sit that with a scrub brush for a long time. IS there something that will help soften the stuff up and wash it off. Any suggestions would be good.

Small pieces I put in the parts washer and anything bigger I use varsol with a brush. RJ is correct. Be sure to spread any rags out to dry. Do not leave them in a pile or inside a waste basket. or in direct sunlight thru a window.
Cheers
Martin

Took some pieces apart to day, the old grease in them was so hard it actually was solid and stuck soaking in NAPTHA to try and soak some of this stuff loose. Think each piece will have to be cleaned and scrubbed real well to get it all off. What type of parts cleaner would you recommend.

I buy what ever is on sale.it's all the same to me.
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is like it is baked on, Found some grease that was so old etc that it was dried to the point I use a screwdriver to scrape/chisel it off the gears, Then used fingernail to scrape the leftovers off. It was still an off white color but hard as rocks. Now it will be total disassembly and clean, so both strong and mild cleaners will be used. Rages spread out, and put so that no fires I hope.

Back