What Steel?

Elmo

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know what steel sucker rods are made of? I am speaking of the pump rods on the big pumps you see nodding in the oil patch.
Elmo

Well, the answer is...........it depends. Unless you know who made them under what grade, it could be a lot of things. There are some who use a proprietary grade, and some who use a more common grade like 4142 or 4330. For instance, one maker, Norris, offers 7 different alloys, depending on application.
http://www.doverals.com/norrisrods/en/norrisglobal/products/sucker-rods
Around here, a lot of fence is built with it (miles and miles) after it is taken out of service. The fence welders I know use either 6013 or 7018 for welding it.

How accurately do you need to know?

I am mostly curious. I have some pieces of 1" rod and wondering what I might make from it. The Norris 1" rods were 4140. I figured that it would be some tough steel because of its use. Used to be that it was easy to get around here but since the oil patch dried up it is hard to come by. That hurt the local economy pretty bad. Thank you for the reply.
Elmo

Last edited:
One site stated some standard rods are Stainless Steel. Apparently there are several different steels. One site sold fiberglass rods as well.

....... The Norris 1" rods were 4140. I figured that it would be some tough steel because of its use. .......Elmo

Hardness most likely in the upper 30's to low 40's on the Rockwell scale C. My favorite steel and hardness to cut on. With carbide tooling, makes nice 6's & 9's when cutting, and leave a nice shiny pretty surface.

It turns very well. I got a spiral about six feet long. I have carbide tools. I turned a pair of chuck keys for trueing stock in my 4 jaw chuck I made them 3 1/2" long. I read several posts that said it was easier using two chuck keys.
Elmo

Elmo,
Nice job on the keys. Have you tried knurling this mystery rod?

Elmo,
Nice job on the keys. Have you tried knurling this mystery rod?

I am limited on my tooling. I don't have a knurling tool. That stuff is easy to work. It does harden if you get it hot. I ground a piece with a 4" hand grinder and purposely got it hot, let it cool and a file wouldn't cut the spot where I over heated it.
Elmo

Back