What 'size' tool holders to buy?

Hi Wes,

The A in AXA refers to the size. You should be able to google the specs although they can be a bit confusing.
The measurement you will need to know is from the top of your compound slide (with the old existing tool post off) to the centre line of the machine.
The tool post specs normally have a range of distances that each tool post can manage.

The BXA is the next bigger size. This is the one I bought (currently in shipping)
I'm hoping all my calculations were correct and that it will fit my 10" Atlas.
It will allow me to use up to 16mm tools. (5/8")
My plan is to use 1/2" HSS and grind them up my self.

Someone else here used a 4 Jaw Chuck to turn down the T nut blank.
The forum thread was promoted to an "Article" so you should be able to find it.

They did a nice step by step guide with photos.

Guy's Round and Ground solution looks pretty neat as well.

But both solutions still need you to be able to hold a cutting tool somehow.

I have an old 4 sided square tool post with most of the square head tool clamping bolts stripped out (by previous owner)
It has two left, I'm hoping it will hang to do one last job. "Make my new T slot bolt:

I have the rocker holder thing but no tool holders to go in it.

My old apprentice master would have said....
"You got a file haven't you"
He even made us make things with a cold chisel before we were allowed to use the machines.
"One day you won't have a mill and you will be glad you know how to use a chisel"

Old bastard was probably right :)

Hope this helps
David

For the AXA, the turning and facing tool holders are 101's.

David, although you may be able to use it on your 10", I think that you are going to wish that you had ordered AXA instead of BXA. I have an AXA (actually it's a Yuasa 100 Series) on my 3996 12" and have never had any reason to want to convert to 200 Series (BXA). The AXA handles up to 1/2" cutters which are plenty large enough, especially on a 3/8" bed 10". I mostly use 3/8".

Robert D.

Hey thanks again. I think I'm starting to see the light finally. ha
Another newbie question though.. It seems the post is free to turn whenever you loosen the clamping lever, but that must not be true. Does the hex nut (on top of the post) anchor the post assembly, while the lever loosens/tightens the tool holder only? Did I guess it right? :dunno:
Thanks!

Yes, at least on all QCTP's and indexable turrets I have seen, the mounting stud goes straight through and the flat washer under the hex nut is supported on a shoulder that is slightly higher than the indexing or locking lever. Or to put it another way, if you remove the nut, only the stud is separable from the rest of the assembly.

Robert D.

Back