What Size Rod To What Size Die

Swerdk

Registered
Registered
I know this seems incredibly basic but I can't figure out the answer what is the proper size that you're Metal rod has to be for the die you want to use.
You might say well if you're using a 1/4x 20 die, your rod should be a quarter-inch. But what if you are trying to match 10 x 24 or 6 x 32. Maybe it would be helpful if I understood what the 10 stands for in the 10 x 24 I know that 24 is the pitch. I do not mean to digress I just want to be able to make my own screws from the dies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNF-THREADS.png

There are charts like this all over the internet and in publications like Machinery's Handbook. None of this is a well kept secret. The outside diameter of the thread is listed under major diameter. In actual practice, most threads are made with a smaller major diameter than the nominal size. To make a 1/4" bolt, you start with a rod at least .005" smaller than the nominal size, .250". It depends on the percentage of thread you want. Especially with dies, if you start with a .250" die you will soon be in trouble, too tight in the die...

UNF-THREADS.png

UNF-THREADS.png

UNF-THREADS.png

Hi Swerdk
enifiedscwchrt.gif

maybe this thread chart may shed a little light.
for example,
a # 10 is .190" for the major outside diameter.
if you wanted to cut a screw in 10-32 tpi you'd start with rod larger than .200"
if you wanted to make a nut in 10- 32 you'd need to drill a hole .150" in diameter and then run a 10-32 tap in the hole

enifiedscwchrt.gif

enifiedscwchrt.gif

enifiedscwchrt.gif

The size rod you will need is the major diameter of the thread you will be cutting with the die. Just find the thread on the chart and go by the major diameter.

So besides #5 (1/8" rod) nothing under 1/4" seems to be a standard off-the-shelf rod size. How convenient ;). And #5 isn't a very common size.

So besides #5 (1/8" rod) nothing under 1/4" seems to be a standard off-the-shelf rod size. How convenient ;). And #5 isn't a very common size.
None of us invented the system. It is what it is, and we need to live with it and deal with it. This is why we have machine tools and reference sources. Rod can be ordered in number and letter sizes, I have an assortment of W-1 drill rod, numbers 1-60, 18" long, that I bought from Brownells about 30 years ago. It is convenient for making all kinds of stuff.

Thank you guys for explaining this I know it might seem basic but between work and raising a family the Learning percent leftover in my brain is about a half a percent-- I do better on the weekends when my brainpower raises to 1 1/2%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back