VN What size arbor is best???

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all VN fans,

Just starting to restore my VN 12, and starting to look for tooling. I am having a hard time finding 1" diameter shell mills for my 1" arbor. But lots of 1 1/4" cutters now on eBay.

Can anybody advise if the VN 12 will accept a 1 1/4" arbor, or 1 1/2" arbor? I assume the controlling factor is the size of the threaded poetion that goes through the overarm support - which I don't have and am in need of acquiring. (Mostly unobtainium - I know)

Also haven't seen any larger size arbors for the VN, so am wondering if they ever were made.

Also, some guy on line is advertising a VN 7/8" collet. I am under the impression the largest VN 12 collet size was so,ethingmlike 5/8". Can anybody confirm what machine a "VN 7/8" collet would fit?

Thanks much,
Glenn

The largest "C" spindle arbor that Van Norman offered was 1". There might be a few shop-make 1-1/4" arbors out there. The No. 12 used a dead-center held in a socket in the overarm support to support the end of the arbor and those arbors have a conical center ground in the end.

The No. 16 (not to be confused with the 16 L/M/S), which was the next design iteration of the No. 12 design, had a ball-bearing support that worked with an different typte of arbor that had a cylindrical pilot on the end. No 16 arbors fit into the overarm support. Again, only available from Van Norman in 1" and under.

Van Norman only offered collets up to 5/8" ID. Hardinge still makes collets for the Van Norman "C" spindle, which they call "5V" (V for Van Norman). Their collets are available up to 3/4" ID, but anything above 19/32" is stepped, so it only holds the tool at the end. The spindle itself is nominally 7/8" ID, so there's NO WAY a normal-style 7/8" collet can exist. Maybe he's talking about the OD of the collet?

Thanks Cal, I remember now, the VN 12 dead center in the company literature I read last year when I bought my 12. Hmm, probably should go looking for a dead center or two, as I don't have these either.

The fellow selling the 7/8" VN advertised the collet OD as around 1.25" at the threaded end. So not sure what he is selling. Maybe he doesn't know what it is.

There are a couple of 3/4" VN arbors on eBay now. I've tried to stay with 1" diameter cutters, just to simplify life, but may look at the 3/4" diameter stuff again. Although no 3/4" dia cutters are for sale at the moment either.

Glenn

Hi Glenn; I too have been watching Ebay for 1" bore cutters and have noticed they are scarcer than the 1-1/4" variety. There is a fellow in Canada who has a good collection but of course the shipping is a bit higher
Mark

The largest "C" spindle arbor that Van Norman offered was 1". There might be a few shop-make 1-1/4" arbors out there. The No. 12 used a dead-center held in a socket in the overarm support to support the end of the arbor and those arbors have a conical center ground in the end.

The No. 16 (not to be confused with the 16 L/M/S), which was the next design iteration of the No. 12 design, had a ball-bearing support that worked with an different typte of arbor that had a cylindrical pilot on the end. No 16 arbors fit into the overarm support. Again, only available from Van Norman in 1" and under.

Van Norman only offered collets up to 5/8" ID. Hardinge still makes collets for the Van Norman "C" spindle, which they call "5V" (V for Van Norman). Their collets are available up to 3/4" ID, but anything above 19/32" is stepped, so it only holds the tool at the end. The spindle itself is nominally 7/8" ID, so there's NO WAY a normal-style 7/8" collet can exist. Maybe he's talking about the OD of the collet?

Cal,
I found out last night from reading an old VN collet brochure that they did actually make collets up to 7/8" ID for the VN no. 2 machine. Must about the size of a modern 5C colelet. Of course, no way would it fit a 12.

Glenn

The larger machines, the No. 22 and up, were available with what Van Norman called the "No. 2" spindle. That's probably what the guy has. I don't know why that didn't occur to me, sorry. Regardless, it would not help you. You're correct, they are about the size of a 5C:
31407%2BTBp2L._SX425_.jpg

Hardinge still makes them in sizes up to 1" ID. They call them "50V".

Anyone with no2 / 50V Collets? I'm interested. I have all the arbor I need & a 5/8" collet for my VN24 - may as well collect the remaining sizes. PM eM etc.

Brockwood, the one I mentioned is currently listed on eBay. Sounds like It might be compatible with your VN 24. The old VN brochure lists it as suitable for a # 2 machine. Cal mentioned perhaps this means a #2 spindle.

Glenn

Glenn, Thank you for thinking of me! I don't have a no2 spindle on my Van Norman (it is NMTB 50). Perhaps what Cal was saying is that there is a NMTB 50 Collet / Insert adaptor (Draw In Tube) that was available so that the VN no2 (50V) collets & inserts could be used?! As a beginner, I like to take what opportunity I can to help sort out confusion with whatever documentation I can. I do believe the 7/8" collet you mentioned, Glenn, will indeed fit my draw in tube. Been eyeing it in fact! For this thread I present VN no2 Insert vs 5C Collet (both accepting a 5/8" tool).
5C vs VN2 a.jpg
5C vs VN2 b.jpg
5C vs VN2 c.jpg

Back