What should I get first?

Thank you. Thats info that is more useful. I know I can add a DRO later. I didn't realize that it had all the features you listed. I didn't notice it had a powered cross feed. The tool post I did notice, but again, thats not a $400 dollar upgrade. As for the variable speed, I seem to remember reading that the variable speed motors are sometimes not as good? I can't quite remember what it was. But I think it had something to do with being better off just upgrading to a higer end 3 phase motor with a VFD or something like that.

But you have given me a lot to think about. I do like idea of having a powered cross slide. Just out of curiosity, how useful is that feature?
You're welcome,
The variable speed, three phase motor VFD combo is a good way of achieving variable speed control for a machine that didn't already have it. However, I don't recall reading about anyone removing factory installed VS system and replacing it.
Power cross-feed can be used for parting off and giving fine finishes on facing operations. Also, if you do get a milling attachment, you'll have a power feed for milling!

What did you end up getting? After areading all the posts on here, I am now leaning towards the PM-1030V. The QCTP is around $200, and then the variable speed also. That makes up for the $400.

http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/

I selected the 1030V, then the addons I selected, The Stand, The drill chuck for the tailstock, The AXA master turning/boring set, and the 1/2" internal/external threading set.

Any other tools you would recommend?

I like the idea of using magnetic calipers for a temp, dro solution. I know I will need some center drills. Also Some cutoff tools. Cutting oil too. Can't think of anything else right now.

Now your talking! Good choice and smart to upgrade to the 30" bed, length will likely be more valuable than turning diameter for the work you described. Sounds like you will have enough lathe tools to get started. You will also need calipers and or a micrometer. A dial indicator with magnetic base is helpful too. Oh, and some steel and aluminum bar stock.... and.....

Snyper, did you see post 36 above. Maybe help is closer than you thought???

you are close enough there in modesto, i live in Tracy-
you could swing by my shop and see some of the different equipment i have and talk shop
send me a message

Snyper 1982,

Take him up on his offer. I know Mike and you will gain more knowledge in two hours spent with him than you will in two years trying to figure out everything on your own.

Ted

If you go with Grizzly then I would suggest you upgrade to the GO752Z. I own one and it is the same lathe as the 602 with the addition of a VFD (variable frequency drive). This gives you variable speed from 100 - 2000 rpm for about $400 more bucks. I have been overall very satisfied with mine. Only complaint would be the spindle is threaded 1 3/4-8. Grizzly does not seem to stock chuck backplates in this size, so if you ever need one to add another chuck, you would have to go elswhere to get one. I added a 5C collet chuck and got the needed backplate from Shars.

kitch

I think you'll be happy with the 1030. It looks like it comes with a lot of accessories and I think you'll be glad
you went with the longer bed. One thing which would have bothered me in the past was the non-standard
spindle nose, but Matt now even has space back plates you can buy, so you can just buy plain-back chucks
and mount them to that back plate. The 1" spindle through bore is better than my South Bend 9".

I have a PM1228-LB and I really like the variable speed and powered cross feed. Matt has been really good to
deal with. I also have a PM727M and I bought a set of 1/2" turning tools from him. Very happy with all of my
purchases.

Snyper 1982,

Take him up on his offer. I know Mike and you will gain more knowledge in two hours spent with him than you will in two years trying to figure out everything on your own.

Ted
I will definitely take him up on his offer.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/d/1936-south-bend-workshopy/6388436013.html

I found this for sale in my area. Is it worth it? Or should I go with the precision matthews?
Those are decisions YOU need to make. For machines we have not seen, we can only give general advise. I am in Sacramento if I can be of assistance. Have you contacted Ulma Doctor (Mike Walton) yet? He can perhaps also help with your questions, lives in Tracy, has machines of his own he may want to part with, and is a kind, helpful guy, and my friend...
To contact H-M members, hover over their handle in the blue text, a box pops up, and click on "Start conversation." You can then discuss things with others away from the main forums if that better suits a specific need. You can invite others to the conversation as well.

Back