What should I get first?

I would go for the PM. That is very much like my South Bend 9C. No cross power feed, no separate
feed (only half nuts), 3/4" through bore. Threaded spindle, flat belt drive and no variable speed.
Plus you're probably limited to around 600 rpm.

Also I don't see a 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, faceplate, etc that you get with the pm.

Last edited:
Those are decisions YOU need to make. For machines we have not seen, we can only give general advise. I am in Sacramento if I can be of assistance. Have you contacted Ulma Doctor (Mike Walton) yet? He can perhaps also help with your questions, lives in Tracy, has machines of his own he may want to part with, and is a kind, helpful guy, and my friend...
To contact H-M members, hover over their handle in the blue text, a box pops up, and click on "Start conversation." You can then discuss things with others away from the main forums if that better suits a specific need. You can invite others to the conversation as well.
I understand I have to make the decision. I just like to have as much information as possible before I make one. I don't know anything about the older lathes like the one I posted about. That is Why I posted about it here, hoping to hear from people who are more knowledgeable in the area. I was simply asking if the price for that lathe seemed reasonable, or if they are asking way to much.

I have contacted Ulma Doctor. We haven't set anything thing up yet, but I was also contacted by some other people about a meet up this weekend. I am hoping to stop by and meet some new people. Then I am going to go check out the lathe I posted about. Which is another reason I was asking about it. What types of questions should I be asking? And what should I be looking out for? Thanks.

Last edited:
The older South Bend 9" lathe is an antique. It appears to be in pretty good condition. Some of us love old iron and feel part of the history it has known. and cherish and care for it, as well as using it as a lathe for making the things we want to make. Others don't want to mess around with machines that are not plug and play, the want to get to work on the most modern machine possible ASAP. Those are just two approaches used by hobby machinists, and there are lots more. Snyper, I reread the posts so far, and I do not see anywhere in them what you plan to accomplish, to learn, to make, on the lathe you eventually purchase. It is difficult to send you in a direction when we do not know what you have in mind after you own it. As it is, most of the advice will be mostly what the advisor would want for himself, not for you. To help you reach your goals we need some idea of what your current goals are. I think it is great that you are making contacts with others in the machining community. Listen to their advice carefully, and remember to be asking for specific help for the things YOU want to do with your lathe, not what they might have in mind for you to do with it. It will work out lots better if you and your lathe fit each other well...

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/d/1936-south-bend-workshopy/6388436013.html

I found this for sale in my area. Is it worth it? Or should I go with the precision matthews?
It looks nice but it has no quick change gear box so you have to manually add and remove gears to change feeds and threads. Also no cross feed and IMHO kind of pricy. I have a similar SB 9" lathe, it was great when that's all I had but now it sits idle, stored under the pool table... My 2 cents: Being you are a beginner and want to jump right in to making things and may not be into dealing with vintage iron, the PM might be a better choice.

The older South Bend 9" lathe is an antique. It appears to be in pretty good condition. Some of us love old iron and feel part of the history it has known. and cherish and care for it, as well as using it as a lathe for making the things we want to make. Others don't want to mess around with machines that are not plug and play, the want to get to work on the most modern machine possible ASAP. Those are just two approaches used by hobby machinists, and there are lots more. Snyper, I reread the posts so far, and I do not see anywhere in them what you plan to accomplish, to learn, to make, on the lathe you eventually purchase. It is difficult to send you in a direction when we do not know what you have in mind after you own it. As it is, most of the advice will be mostly what the advisor would want for himself, not for you. To help you reach your goals we need some idea of what your current goals are. I think it is great that you are making contacts with others in the machining community. Listen to their advice carefully, and remember to be asking for specific help for the things YOU want to do with your lathe, not what they might have in mind for you to do with it. It will work out lots better if you and your lathe fit each other well...

Thank you. I never though about it like that. Well pretty much, I am looking to eventually transition into this as a career. Whether that is owning a small business or just being a machinist, that is to far down the road to say. I don't know enough about the industry to decide one way or the other. So right now, I am looking for a good lathe, for a good price, that I can learn on, and create a portfolio showcasing my work. I imagine it would be easier to find a job, if you can show prospective employers your previous work.

So there are my longer term goals. For shorter term goals, I need to get the lathe, the tooling, and get it all set up. As for tooling, should I go with indexable or not? Also, what would be some good beginner projects for me to try my hand at. and some good books for me to get? I believe I have read that the Machinery's Handbook is a must own.

Thanks.

It looks nice but it has no quick change gear box so you have to manually add and remove gears to change feeds and threads. Also no cross feed and IMHO kind of pricy. I have a similar SB 9" lathe, it was great when that's all I had but now it sits idle, stored under the pool table... My 2 cents: Being you are a beginner and want to jump right in to making things and may not be into dealing with vintage iron, the PM might be a better choice.

Thank you.

Hello everybody, This is my first post (and a bit of an introduction)::

I have had and use a Taig microLathe for 20+ years and even have/use the milling attachment.
I used this lathe to make a bunch of round things and a few slots for a 20" telescope I built 18 years ago.
Other that building this telescope and a few R/C racing cars, I have little background in machining,
but a lot of background in drafting (CAD, blueprints,...)
So I know how to make the drawings that can be assembled into finished parts,
But little on how to make precision parts.......

Last year I retired from having designed computer chips for 35 years, and I am gifting myself three large telescopes, and as it turns out, gifting myself a machine shop to make them in too.

Right now I am building a 13", a 20", and a 30" telescopes, and while I did build my 20" F/4 DOB with little more than the Taig, hacksaw, file, vise, and drill press. I decided for the 30" and its support requirements I am building; a new set of tooling was going to make my effort go down. So this spring, I got an 8×30 mill (G0730) and to accompany it a G4003G lathe, backed up with a 14" metal bandsaw, and a small table saw.

For me my mill was limited because the structural engineer said the concrete floor would not hold the weight of a Bridgeport on the footprint of the BP. So, limited to "about" 1000 pounds for the mill, I spent months looking at CL, Ebay, ... looking for "as big as possible" but not over 1000 pounds. Clausings, Rockwell made things that fit the bill, it is just there was no readily available supply, on the lathe side, SouthBend,... made lathes with similar floor loadings. But after a couple of months looking, and not wanting to drive 1/2 way across the country, and finally, wanting a working machine not a project to finish before getting to the telescopes; I decided to just buy some new Grizzly stuff.

My initial inclination was that I would be using the lathe and the mill about as much as each other. This has not been the case as of yet. I find myself making many more parts and spending a lot more time on the mill than on the lathe. I think a lot of this has to do with the experience I have had on the Taig, and the fact that the G4003G pretty much runs itself, whereas setting up intricate assemblies in the mill so a hole can be flat faced, drilled, relieved, and tapped in 2 or 3 parts simultaneously is simply a lot harder than making something round.

I happen to need a lot of strange looking parts in order to make the mirror cell for the 30" telescope. Many of these parts articulate on small ball bearings, and they require bearing fits on the race and shafts. Some of these look a lot simpler to make when all you have to do to draw them is a couple of carefully chosen clicks, and mouse movements. Actually taking raw stock metal and making the part fit the blueprint is not often straightforward, especially when one is looking for 0.001 interference fits for the bearings and trying to bore such a hole at 0.2485. I can't tell you how many attempts it took before I figured it out. But sé la vie, it's a good learning experience.

Back to the OPs question: There is no question that the first machine should be the lathe, because a lathe makes things sufficiently round that you cannot make so critically round with any other means (files and drill press). The mill is performing the work of the hacksaw, file, and drill press, but if you are persistent, careful, and attentive, you can generally make acceptable parts without the mill (albeit at higher effort).

WELCOME to to hobby-machinist! Lots of good answers above!

When I decided to leave Metal Casting, or maybe Improve Upon it, I choose a Lathe. Now, there are dozens of Companies making Many Sizes, That Said, I wanted to do Minature Steam Engines, and I Choose the TAIG LATHE, from AZ. The more I studied (prior to purchase) the More Intrigue I had.

Finally, I had a Once in a lifetime chance to VISIT, and have a Personal TOUR by the Owner himself! That he was a Rocket Enginner caught in the "Down Sizing" of NASA was very interesting. He had a Concept, he put it into Production and It is great! Now I am not sure how other larger Lathes "Package" there Machines, but his thought was START Basic, and as On add you Need/Want to. So the most basic Lathe KIT, which I bought & Assembled, via very Well Written Instructions, in Plain English was: the Bed, HeadStock & the Cross-Feed unit Plus his Collet System which he custom designed for Both Economy & Accuracy.

One of the "Extras" on the Accessories was a Vise and Milling setup, which was fitted upon the crossfeed!

My First Steam engine had a 0.250" piston inside a 0.500" Head, called a "wobbler design", it would run on air supplied either by a pump or just blow into the tube.

!!! I was Hooked !!! I had to stop for several years, for various reasons, but I will be up and running that Lathe, and other Equipment, by 2018.

My list of equipment (2 decades of purchasing) 2 TAIG Lathes, one was for Wood Only, I may convert it to CNC. One TAIG MICRO MILL (CNC) and 1 Micro-Mark 7X14 (Never even Used) I also have A Pair of Seig CO Nano Lathes/Mills one of each Lathe & Mill, they convert back & forth, they run ER-11 collets, the second Smallest ER collet made, IIRC.

All of above to say Do WHAT you want to do, You will get hooked, for sure!

philip

Last edited:
Back