What QCTP?

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help. When I bought my lathe LD1216, it came with an Algra QCTP it's about the same size as a BXA. but is a somewhat different design.

The Algra is Italian made and is very good quality, a very similar design to Dickson and I think eeven Bison have a similar design, but they are dimensionaly different and nothingis interchangable. The problem is that spare tool holdrs are very expensive, like about $125.00 each. So by the time I buy a dozen or so I could have bought a completely different new system and still have some change.

Also the design of these toolholders at the back where they clamp to the post is quite complex, and so rather difficult to make especially without a good and reasonable size mill.

Should I just bight the bullet and start again with a cheaper system, or should I struggle on with a limited number of holders. Or does anyone know where these can be bought at a reasonable price.

You can try Plaza machinery. Joe sold me a couple for my hard to find FIMS tool post years ago. After I had the pattern, I made some more out of Blanchard ground steel.

Can you pist a pic of the Algra? I have never heard of the name but is it like the Dickson QCTPs?

Can you pist a pic of the Algra? I have never heard of the name but is it like the Dickson QCTPs?

Yes it's quite similar to the Dickson and I believe also the Bison, but dimensionly different so they are not interchangable.

You'll get far more info and pictures, plus dimensions if you google algra tool post than what you'd get if I post a picture.

They may not be widely available in USA. I can only find two dealers here in downunder and they both charge similar rediculous prices.

Have enough holders for the number of tool changes for the part you are making, if the part requires 5 tools then that is how many tool blocks you will need. Several weeks ago I made 750 parts using 5 tools or 3750 manual tool changes in less than 40 hours, an ATC is your friend.

Last edited:
Bob , that was my answer to your question "should I just bite the bullet , or should I start over with a cheaper system ." Can you have to many tool holder systems for your lathe ? I don't think so , when I had my shop one of my lathes was a Taiwan 1440 , I had that thing tooled up . I had the original block type 4 way , I used that when I wanted to use a big boring bar , for mid size tools I had a Aloris and I had a KDK holder that was nice for smaller stuff . That lathe also
had a taper attachment slide , you didn't have to hook up the taper attachment slide you could just lock it and use it as a opposite side tool holder . Very productive
Hey Wreck , back in the 80's I almost bought a Haas indexer to make a ATC .

Thanks guys, It's begining to look as though an economicle supply of tool holders for my Algra QCTP does not exist. It's a pity as it really is a piece of very high quality kit, and if I was running a machine shop I would like to have one on each lathe. However as a hobbyist, I can't justify the cost, and I don't think I need the absoluite quality.

So I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting something like a Phase II or Aloris system, I think I like the wedge style better than the piston type. I suspect a little more more accurate. At least with that design I can get a lot of tool holders at quite low prices, an dif need be I can easily make my own. I can buy a phase II or Aloris with half a dozen holders for the same price as 3 new holders for the Algra, so in the long run it will be cheaper

I certainly would like to have more than 5 toolholders. I can see the point of loading 5 or so holders if you are doing production runs, but I'm unlikely to be doing that, most of what I plan to do is one off, or maybe just a few of any one item. But I do intend to have a dozen or more holders with the most comonly used tools already set up. Like I already have a couple of drill chucks, one almost always has a #3 centre drill in it, and I intend to get a few more, and so goes the logic.

BTW what is an ATC.

Bob.

Back