What Machines Do You Have In Your Home Shop?

What Machines Do You Have In Your Home Shop?

• Metal Cutting Lathe

Votes: 611 93.0%
  • Knee Mill/Bench Mill

Votes: 472 71.8%
  • Surface Grinder

Votes: 109 16.6%
  • Shaper

Votes: 97 14.8%
  • Metal Cutting Bandsaw

Votes: 461 70.2%
  • Drill Press

Votes: 590 89.8%
  • Pedestal/Bench Grinder

Votes: 581 88.4%
  • Belt Grinder/Sander

Votes: 459 69.9%
  • Welding Equipment

Votes: 535 81.4%
  • Plasma Cutter/Table

Votes: 113 17.2%
  • Hydraulic Press

Votes: 240 36.5%
  • Bending Brake

Votes: 167 25.4%
  • Air Compressor

Votes: 609 92.7%
  • Gantry Crane/Engine Hoist/Shop Crane

Votes: 251 38.2%
  • Arbor Press

Votes: 245 37.3%
  • Tubing Notcher/English Wheel

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Woodworking Tablesaw

Votes: 455 69.3%
  • Woodworking Bandsaw

Votes: 355 54.0%
  • Woodworking Router/Router Table

Votes: 412 62.7%
  • Woodworking Planer/Joiner/Shaper

Votes: 261 39.7%
  • Woodworking Lathe

Votes: 154 23.4%
  • Compound/Cross-Cutting Miter Saw

Votes: 326 49.6%
  • Air Filtration/Blower System

Votes: 139 21.2%

• Total voters
Yep! I am another one that needs to update the things I have in my shop..

Here is my story about my 4X6 Bandsaw.

I made a stop at my scrap metal place on Friday. Besides some small pieces of brass, alluminum, and some regular iron. I spotted an old junker 4x6 metal band saw.. .. I asked, "How Much"...Reply, "We just got it in, we haven't even had a chance to plug it in. We don't know if it even works... ME: Well, How much just the way it sits.. THEY: 50. Bucks.. Well, I went back and took another look, and it was or is in rough shape. I went back and offered them 40 Bucks, which they accepted. They got a fork lift and got it loaded on the little truck. I paid my bill and I was off for home.

I got the little begger unloaded, plugged it in, and WOW: The motor works, The blade is turning, but on checking the tracking, the blade is only running about 50 percent on the drive wheel. After a little adjusting of the roller bearings, I now have a saw that is running nice and true. The blade is near new which is another added bonus. The cuts are reasonably square. The rough shape was more so in appearance than in the working mechanism.

Today, I took the main saw off the stand, got my Auto Body tools and away I went making things straight tightening up corners etc etc.. I think I now have the base ready for a little wire brushing, and then a coat of nice new Tremclad..

The main saw is not going to require to awful much work. The biggest item will be the total cover for the saw housing.. The original was replaced with a homemade piece of galvanized metal. (Actually three pieces all riveted together) It looked like crap. I already have a nice piece of metal, so I will measure cut, measure cut, bend and shape untill I get something that fits as well as looking nice.

I have taken some pictures of the "OLD" so as I get it looking good I will get some more pictures, and let you see my treasure.

Trust you enjoy sharing my find as much as I do..

Cheers;

Great find - I'm just a bit jealous. We didn't have a scrap metal place down here until just a month or so ago. I haven't gone by yet to see if he'll sell me anything before he hauls it up to Tucson. In the past all our metal trade was done by those bozos on Craigslist who advertise they'll pick up all your metal for you for free and haul it away - no pile too big. This area ranks pretty low in education so its no surprise the homeowners just call the CL guys who come out, end up picking up the good metal and hauling it to Tucson to get the $$$. The rest (rusting tin sheets and such) ends up in a pile on the front acre (let's call it yard art.) and our dump just put up a big sign saying it's illegal to scavenge so no shopping there. But it's got to be a good feeling when you can pick up a tool for cheap and it ends up being a simple fix.

Yep! I am another one that needs to update the things I have in my shop..

Here is an update to my story about my 4X6 Bandsaw.

Here is the latest information on my Band Saw. I was at KMS Tools today, They have a 4 1/2 MAGNUM Band Saw listed at $342.99. It appears to be the exact same item that I have.. (KMS Tools would be something like Harbor Freight for you folks south of the border)

The bottom stand portion, has been taken apart and all straightened up, and given Two nice coats of Tremclad...One interesting little bit of humor, the little wheels were put on the wrong end, and "welded" permanent. I just extended the frame on the other end and added another set of wheels. Now I have a four wheel drive..

I now have the main saw in many pieces. There are a few little items that need a little attention. Give or take a couple of days, and I shall be re-assembling then I will get the camera out and let you see the before and after results..

Wow, what a fun thread! I'll post mine and go back and read everyone's..
So, to the best of my memory:

METAL-

-Hardinge TM Mill (a little rough but works for me until I find a "cherry" model someday) , running 3Ph with VFD

-Rusnok Model 70 Vertical Head (I run a Yahoo group about these cool little heads made in Chicago), running 3Ph with VFD (shared with a Twist-Lock with South Bend and Hardinge)

-South Bend Heavy Ten (Quite a beater, but a great gift wow), running 3Ph with VFD (shared with a Twist-Lock with Rusnok and Hardinge)

-Atlas 618 (another gift, an absolute rusty pile!) Brought back from the land of rust and grime! The machine that got me started :)

-Sherline 5500 Mill -(might CNC this- have most parts) -bought new, early on for me.

-Sherline 4400 Lathe

-Taiwanese (Delta-copy) Tabletop Drill Press (3-1/4in diameter column 12 Speeds). I keep wanting to replace it with a nice old American Delta, Walker Turner, etc, but it has a Morse #2 Taper, crank table, and it works fine!

-Harvey Butterfly Die Filer (another favorite... Lovely machine)

-Hand-I-Hack Portable Power Hacksaw (favorite! Could watch this all day!) -CraigsList

-Greenerd No. 3 Arbor Press

-Tomlee Tool Bandsaw 10 inch -neat little cast iron bandsaw
(I slowed the rotation with an Atlas 10in countershaft underneath)

-Miller Thunderbolt Arc Welder (old! But works)

-Little 80 Amp MIG Welder

-Grinders- sort of a tree, stacked. Different wheels etc. I gotta get some pics up here.

WOOD-

-Rockwell 105 Radial Arm Saw (beauty)

-Craftsman (King Seeley) 15in Floor Drill Press (almost cherry

-Boyce Crane Oscillating Spindle Sander (beautiful, love it)

-Toro Bandsaw 10 inch - sitting at a garage sale for $25 !

Ridgid Chop Saw -this thing sat outside for two years, and still works completely!! And perfectly!!

-Couple of cool Stanley Planes

-OLD mint B&D U-338 Circular saw

... And ALWAYS looking for a metal shaper! 8)

Bernie

Last edited:
Rusnok mod 80 Vertical end mill, Whitney No6 horizontal end mill (from 1906 but retrofitted with a modern 3HP moter, Arr Arr), Unimat 200 lathe, delta drill press, Delta band saw, Millwaukee porta ban saw, chop saw,radial arm saw, large and small table saw, Lincoln Mig welder, lincoln AC/DC welder, Cutting torch (with which I can also gas weld with, pedistal mount grinder, 80gal 5HP air system, 4, 6 & 8" vices and more power and hand tools then I care to list. Have also learned how to weld with car batteries, although I have found you can only get 2-4 rods per charge, it's hot and splatters alot. My needs are not tools but space. My newest project is a floor mounted lathe built entirely out of used car parts with engine blocks for the main column and knee as well as bed for the lathe. It will be a multi tool. Here is a link to the web site that inspired me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimachine

My freinds and I (along with our very own IT expert) are embarking on a 3D printer project that will just blow your sox off :shush:. We intend to replicate our own 3D printers, ad the servos and voula home made 3D printers. For those of you who have never checked out 3D printing check out this next link! Jay Leno make a replacement part for his 1909 steam car.

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/05/14/jay-leno-scans-and-prints-replacement-car-parts/

Ordered a mini mill, next will be a lathe and welder. Converting from wood working to metal.

Holy Crap Burnerman!!

You are making a multimachine??? I used to keep up with the Yahoo group, and lost touch when my shop was in storage... Any pics of it?

That is absolutely cool!

Bernie

I added an 8" x 48" Craftsman disk/belt sander last week. Like new, on Craftsman stand complete with original on/off safety switch and owners manual. I thought $75 was fair as it was an older Emerson Electric version from the early 1980's. The best part is it is still a USA model. I like my machines older and USA made. (no dis to the foreign machines it is just a me thing) I think it will do nicely for light de burring jobs.

I have just started getting the sub compoinents together Bernie but yeah I am real gunho about this little multi mill project. I have a pix of the prototype that had been built by others but I intend to make a few improvements to it such as a decent cross slide table and a longer bed for the lathe side, mine will be a dual shaft with the mill on one side and the lathe on the other, a live center with a solid and adjustable post. All the plans are in my head...LOL. That is sometime scary but that is how I work no need for plans it goes from the brain to the machine. I find it takes less time and I have fewer changes that way. MultiMachine[1].jpg

MultiMachine[1].jpg

I've got a mechanics shop that I've converted the back 30x40 room into a metal fab shop got a hurco kmbx1 with a amts board so we can do g- code that I just got fully functional learning how to write code and run cad software now, tig,mig & torch for welding bandsaw,chopsaw & plasma for cutting 4 ft box brake, kick punch press,small and large drill presses, spot welder, sterling drill bit sharpener, 6' bed monarch lathe and now building a 9'x5' plasma table so the shop is being filled with tools plus a full mechanics shop in the front 30x40, all is insulated and heated , I farm for a living and work in the shop for a side line :thinking: where does all my time go

Back