• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Machines Do You Have In Your Home Shop?

What Machines Do You Have In Your Home Shop?

• Metal Cutting Lathe

Votes: 617 93.1%
  • Knee Mill/Bench Mill

Votes: 480 72.4%
  • Surface Grinder

Votes: 112 16.9%
  • Shaper

Votes: 98 14.8%
  • Metal Cutting Bandsaw

Votes: 466 70.3%
  • Drill Press

Votes: 596 89.9%
  • Pedestal/Bench Grinder

Votes: 588 88.7%
  • Belt Grinder/Sander

Votes: 463 69.8%
  • Welding Equipment

Votes: 538 81.1%
  • Plasma Cutter/Table

Votes: 115 17.3%
  • Hydraulic Press

Votes: 244 36.8%
  • Bending Brake

Votes: 170 25.6%
  • Air Compressor

Votes: 614 92.6%
  • Gantry Crane/Engine Hoist/Shop Crane

Votes: 254 38.3%
  • Arbor Press

Votes: 246 37.1%
  • Tubing Notcher/English Wheel

Votes: 61 9.2%
  • Woodworking Tablesaw

Votes: 459 69.2%
  • Woodworking Bandsaw

Votes: 360 54.3%
  • Woodworking Router/Router Table

Votes: 416 62.7%
  • Woodworking Planer/Joiner/Shaper

Votes: 265 40.0%
  • Woodworking Lathe

Votes: 156 23.5%
  • Compound/Cross-Cutting Miter Saw

Votes: 328 49.5%
  • Air Filtration/Blower System

Votes: 140 21.1%

• Total voters

Management

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here is a poll that should interest most of us. What machines do you own in your home machinist shop? Select as many as you like, and elaborate in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

eac67gt

Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium
Compared to some I guess I don't have much but my wife always called me Tim the toolman tylor like on home improvement. He always said he had 150 or something like that electric hand tools. Everyone uses me for the tool crib because I have done it all - all aspects of automotive, plumbing, mansonary, electrical, carpentry, roofing, landscaping, wood working, electronics, welding......and now chip making. Love chip making!!!!! Love chip making!!!!! Hey I already said that. :nuts:

Have a great day!

Ed

fretsman

Active User
Voted, and not that I have everything on that list, but still need/want:

Dave

• Welding Equipment
  • Gantry Crane/Engine Hoist/Shop Crane
  • Arbor Press

Uncle Buck

I have everything on the list except what is below. Looking for the surface grinder and press.

Surface Grinder
Plasma TableHydraulic Press
Bending Brake
Tubing Notcher/English Wheel
Air Filtration/Blower System

Last edited:

valleyboy101

Active User
I still need a shaper and a tig welder but otherwise my shop is coming along nicely - as it should be after so many years!

Michael

Colchester Student 13"
Induma 1S (BP)
LUXO 12 " vertical metal cutting bandsaw (Japenese 1966)
Skill 4x12 metal cutting bandsaw
Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
Oxy/Ac
Pehaka 30" wood bandsaw
Wadkin 18" wood planner
Wadin 12" tablesaw
General 12" jointer
2x48 and 6x48 belt sanders
Atlas metal lathe bed converted to wood lathe
Oneida dust collector
Ingersol Rand 5 hp compressor
arbour press
Rockwell 12 " radial arm + mitre saw

Last edited:

sanddan

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
I sold my table saw as I don't like the dust in my shop and very seldom used it. I have a plasma cutter but not the CNC table version and a wood band saw converted to metal. I don't see a shaper or surface grinder in my future but I might build a english wheel to go along with my bead roller. Mine is a all metal, no wood working type shop.

xalky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
I have most of those things.

I don't have a shaper, surface grinder, wood bandsaw.

No need for an arbor press since i have the hydraulic press.

Space is at a premium. I have a 22x22 garage and it's well organized but packed to the rafters.

dirty tools

Active User
got rid of my wood working tools (lost desire to do that work) shop is to small
1916 SB 13x5 lathe, aircompressor, drill press, bench grinders.
Looking for a milling machine.
Wife says I have to much junk.

Johnm

Iron
Registered Member
Compound miter saw, chop saw, plasma cutter and you forgot the old faithful TOURCH! When in doubt heat it, burn it or cut it.

JoeSixPack74

Active User
Besides metal working and woodworking I have some homemade lapidary equipment. A sphere machine, diamond blade chop saw and rock tumbler.

GK1918

Active User
Aso an air- brake shoe rivit machine that will do the smallest to the largest ever made. I may be the only
one around that can rivit shoes around here. A 3 hundred pound power bead roller. We made all dies
here mainly to produce 1948 to 56 Ford truck running boards. Big enough to handle fender beads.

psychodelicdan

Active User
Ok sense
I can't figure out where these poles are listed ( Maybe tap talk just won't show it. It's like that with pictures)
In my shop
J-head Bridgeport mill
Craftsman/ atlas 12x36 lathe#101.12440
96" sheet metal brake ( 4sale)
48" box and pan finger brake
48" stomp sheer
36" stomp sheer
10" throatless sheer
Miller Tig welder
2" x 48" duel vertical belt sander
Torch set
I think there's a 4' x 6' work table out there somewhere but haven't seen it for some time.
Grinder and other stuff
Did I mention that this is a to car garage

Master of unfinished projects

metal2

metal2
Registered Member
Hi Everyone
What i have in my shop
  1. Bunch of small metal working item and machine
  2. welder , torch
  3. I do stain glass
  4. Some wood working item ,tool

Every thing i have is small because i dont have a lot of room but I enjoy what i do

AR1911

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
My shop is 30 miles from home. Does that still qualify as a 'home shop' ?
For the most part, my woodworking equipment is at the house. About the only time I use that stuff is when I'm doing house repair chores.
But I do like having a cheap benchtop wood bandsaw for cutting plastic shapes and the occasional wood or thin aluminum
And I've been known to cut aluminum plate with my circular saw or table saw on occasion.

I have a 20-ton hydraulic press, but I go to the arbor press first. It's so much easier to use if you don't need the tonnage. I have a small arbor press and a large one. The large one has a handwheel which is a BIG timesaver
Right now I'm in pretty good shape for tools:

Lathes: Enco 10x24, South bend 9A, Atlas 618, Northern Tools 7x12, (Micromark 7x14 gone)
Mills: Powermatic Millrite, Centex(Rockwell), half of a Clausing,(Minimill gone)
Shapers: Atlas early, Atlas 7B, South Bend
Band saws: Jet 4x6, Marvel 6x12, Enco 14" Vertical modified for metal
Drill Press: Rigid floor DP, Craftsman benchtop
MIG and gas welding equip.
Presses: 3
And of course all the tooling etc

It's about time to thin the herd a bit and build that shop at the house.

Last edited:

wm460

Active User
Want is the same as need isent it

What I need

Metal Cutting Bandsaw
Gantry Crane/Engine Hoist/Shed Crane,
Bigger Metal Lathe.
Knee Mill/Bench Mil,
Hydraulic Press
BIGGER SHED

joconnor

Active User
Hi everyone I'm new here, so here goes. My shop is a combo used for business and hobby. It is located in my back yard. I repair welding equipment for a living. Here is a list of equipment. Welders, MM 35 wirefeeder, Shopmaster 300 W/feeder, Syncrowave 250 w/water cooled torch, and Miller Plasma cutter. Lathes, Standard modern 13/40, Burmingham 12/36, Southbend 9A, and Southbend 10K. Milling, Jet power down mill/drill, Cincinnati 08, and Elliott omnimill junior w/vertical & horizontal heads. Grinders, several bench and hand grinders, Dumore tool post, and Clarkson mark 2 w/vacuum. Elliott 10M shaper. Have also all kinds of tooling, and an old yale forklift and a 55KW cummins genset for three phase power, Jet 3 phase 1 ton overhead hoist, 5 hp air comp, and Rotophase for equipment up to 5 HP. Reloading equipment. Here is my last project.

P1010757.JPG

Uncle Buck

got rid of my wood working tools (lost desire to do that work) shop is to small
1916 SB 13x5 lathe, aircompressor, drill press, bench grinders.
Looking for a milling machine.
Wife says I have to much junk.
I never heard of a wife yet that didn't think her husband had "too much junk" which generally equates to their description of our machines and tools. Particularly if you are a hobbyist not turning a profit for the wife to spend. That is actually what defines junk from something that most wives will deem productive, does it make money that I get to spend? If yes then that is worthwhile. If she cannot spend it or gain benefit then your home garage/shop is simply taking up the space where either her car, or the washing machine and dryer are supposed to be! :lmao:

AR1911

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
I got 2 words for you guys: Separate Accounts.

She makes her money, she buys shoes and expensive clothes.
I make my money, I buy machine tools and firearms.
Life is good.

Uncle Buck

I got 2 words for you guys: Separate Accounts.

She makes her money, she buys shoes and expensive clothes.
I make my money, I buy machine tools and firearms.
Life is good.
Na, we were both too poor for that game. We needed every last dime both of us could put together to make it in the beginning so that is the way it has stayed. Besides, most wives don't care what account it came out of anyway, they still consider it a waste unless it turns a profit......

For there to be any gain in separate accounts both jobs must generate enough income for there to be a surplus to buy toys. Also for some folks separate accounts would be a sure path leading to divorce. Of all the arguements I have had with my wife over the last 15 years few were about money.

jim lenzi

Iron
Registered Member
Hi; Contrary to one letter, my wife encourages me to get what I want. (if I can afford it) I have a mill drill, 12x36 engine lathe(Harbor Freight). Very nice! Hoist, belt-disk sander,hyd. press,wire feed,stick, and oxy-acet welders, drill presses,sand blaster and air comp. Can't say enough about that lathe, had an old 14" Logan, no comparison.
Looking for a shaper.
Jim

robstaples

My wife is very supportive of my tool acquistion. But she wants things ORGINIZED! Can you imagine? Actually I do too, but my shop is still under construction so there's lots of goat paths.

Outside the list, I have a 55 ton hydraulic iron worker. (punch, cut,shear, bend). Boy, can you make a tool stand or tool dolly in a hurry with one of these.

Uncle Buck

My wife is very supportive of my tool acquistion. But she wants things ORGINIZED! Can you imagine? Actually I do too, but my shop is still under construction so there's lots of goat paths.

Outside the list, I have a 55 ton hydraulic iron worker. (punch, cut,shear, bend). Boy, can you make a tool stand or tool dolly in a hurry with one of these.
I don't klnow that I would say my wife has ever been real keen on all the tools and occasional machines I have bought through the years, but fortunately only once or twice has she really registered her displeasure with machines I spent money on.

river

Iron
Registered Member
hi I have a car lift, welder, drill press, cut off saw. tubing knotcher and small metal , grinding wheel and all kinds of wood working stuff. I just bought this mini lathe to help me make some small parts in my project. Here's a pic of it. I'm looking for a operational manual and any info on this unit. I'm just a amature so take it beasy on me guys. I have to relearn how to operate this lathe. Any one here from Ct. View attachment 48138 IMG_3241.JPG

IMG_3241.JPG

twraska

Active User
OK I'll fess up what I have if y'all don't tell the wife! LOL
MIG, TIG, Stick and gas powered welder. (had portable wire feed but got stolen ERRRRRR)
Bench grinders, looking for a 12".
Lodge & Shipley 25"X120" lathe w/taper
Bridgeport mill, older step pulley model
Box drill press, ancient but works, looking for radial arm drill
20 ton press, looking for bigger
125 cfm air compressor and sand blaster
bead blast cabinet
numerous jacks up to 50 ton
Rush drill & end mill sharpner (best money spent yet!)
Sioux valve & seat grinder
Hand tools to over 2" and impacts to 1" drive

Son and I farm, restore tractors, and do repair work in the slack seasons, hence the reason for all the big stuff.