What lathe might these gears belong to?

joe_m

Active User
Registered
It's a long shot I'm sure, but you never know....
A long time ago one of the machinist chests I bought had a bunch of gears in the bottom drawer. They were in good condition, all bundled together and held with one piece of wire. The only markings I saw were the teeth count on a few of them.
They're not the change gears to my little Atlas lathe - that I'm certain of. And they're much smaller than the gears in my gearhead Leblond.
I'm hoping the combination of gears might jump out at someone. There are a dozen that are 1/8" thick with a 1/4" hole. Then there are 3 that are just as thick, but have a 7/16" hole. All those are flat. And then there are two "different" ones. The first of those is 3/16" thick but only has a 1/4" hole. And the second is much bigger - 7/8" hole with two sets of outside gears - one with a diameter of 1.5" and the other with a diameter of 3-3/8. And that same gear has, on the other side, a set of inside gears about 2.5" diameter.

And just for fun - the same piece of baling wire held three little brass gears that look to me like they came off a clock, not a piece of heavy machinery. They are very thin.

So do are they obviously from a certain type/brand lathe or are they maybe just a collection of various gears a compulsive machinist gathered over the years? (I've got another small box of those.)

thanks in advance
Joe

unkgears.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but the fact that the majority of the gears are so thin leads me to think they are not from a lathe, unless it's a very small one. Southbend 9" lathes use steel gears that are 3 time that thick. The 'modern' 7x12 lathes have about the 5/16" or 3/8" thick gears, but in plastic, so a small lathe like that may use thin steel gears.

Back