What kind of tooling is needed to radius a flywheel?

although that means there's little or no height adjustment.
There’s that, and the massive overhang that puts me off. That and the price tag :) It was a revelation to see all the stuff set up because mostly I’d ever seen them displayed in it‘s case all laid out with no context. Because I have only a 9x20 and limited funds I went the DIY route.

Attachments

• E2940B4E-EA27-4BAF-92EE-E77BC3DBBB8F.jpeg
    E2940B4E-EA27-4BAF-92EE-E77BC3DBBB8F.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 11
There’s that, and the massive overhang that puts me off. That and the price tag :) It was a revelation to see all the stuff set up because mostly I’d ever seen them displayed in it‘s case all laid out with no context. Because I have only a 9x20 and limited funds I went the DIY route.
Only have a "10x22", so no big stuff for me. No tee slots either. Wonder how big a Holdridge style would fit? Looks like a 3D modeling exercise of my lathe to figure that out. Mine's not quite standard, if you know what I mean. Grizzly took some liberties in dimensions. The older lathes are not dimensioned the same as mine, like my compound is higher than older ones.

If I could get a 2+ inch Holdridge style to fit, that would be nice.

Mine's not quite standard, if you know what I mean.
Yup, “standard” is a very fluid thing. I got the idea for mine from Jere Kirkpatrick’s YouTube channel. Of course he didn’t have the t slot setup so as with most ideas it’s take what I like and adapt. You mention Grizzly spec’s, well they are a lot better than a discontinued model like my HF :p

I guess if you can model it you can make anything, right? I personally kept running into the need for a radii cutter so it has been a worthwhile project. Not only have I done ball handles and stuff but my main reason was to be able to make tubing roller dies and bead roller dies. They need to be male and female, convex/concave so mine fit the bill as that’s what Jere used his for.

But it is a very big YMMV kinda thing. If all you’re going to do is one flywheel toy it’s pretty hard to justify. You could always try the Etch a Sketch style with the two handwheels.

1 inch radius corner rounding bit and a rotary table, Cut one side, flip, repeat. Sand or file mismatch to look good.

Back