what is this?

mzayd3

Active User
Registered
Ok, I just bought a sheldon UXL-44B lathe. My question involves a few mysterious (to me atleast) levers and gears.

On the headstock there is an eccentric geared shaft (at the top of the picture). Is this the countershaft? and what is it's purpose?

img58.jpeg

Next, on the cross slide carriage, there is a lever (in the center of the picture) that I can't seem to figure out what it does.
img61.jpeg

these aren't pictures of my lathe, I haven't picked it up yet. mine is nowhere near as nice looking. I bought it to use, not as art. thank you for your comments.

- - - Updated - - -

I should mention that I don't know what the dial is on the bottom either. :dunno:

img58.jpeg img61.jpeg

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, cograts on the new lathe!!

The eccentric shaft is the back gear. There should be a lever somewhere to engage it. There is also probably a pin in the bull gear that needs to be disengaged before running in back gear.

The lever I think you're refering to (three position) engages the power feeds. Usually the center is "neutral". The others engage either the carriage "x" travel or the cross slide "y" travel.

The dial on the bottom "should" be the clutch.

You need to find a manual for your machine. I assume there is a Sheldon Yahoo group. Sometimes they have PDF copies of manuals for free. Otherwise look on ebay for one.

Hope that helps.

Steve

wow! I had no idea there was power feed in the y direction as well! That is terrific. What is meant by a back gear?

wow! I had no idea there was power feed in the y direction as well! That is terrific. What is meant by a back gear?
Think of it as High/Low range. Back gears put the lathe in low range. It slows the rotation of the spindle.

If you go to http://vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx under Sheldon download files there are five files two are what looks like your lathe. The pin. For the back gears is in the front of the gear near the chuck you can rotate ire around to pull it out or push it back in.
I just checked the files are there but I can't post them with the iPad.

Todd

Back Gear is used to reduce the spindle speed for threading. When in Back Gear expect it to be noisy compared to straight drive. Doesn't hurt to put a few drops of oil on those gears when you engage them.

Good Luck with your new lathe,

See if these will help you!!

Todd

Attachments

• 3556.pdf
    872.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 3720.pdf
    495.9 KB · Views: 13
Back