What is this tool?

buffdan

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can someone identify this tool please.
Has a bit in which looks like thread cutting bit.
The head is ratcheting to adjust angle to handle.

Thanks,
DanIMGP1449.JPGIMGP1450.JPG

IMGP1449.JPG IMGP1450.JPG

Appears to be part of a ball turner. The long rod was clamped into the holder and rotated to produce round and spherical object on the lathe with repeatable accuracy. There should be a device that will grip the shaft somewhere around if you got it in a lot from an auction or similar. Good luck and hope that helped.

Bob

Appears to be part of a ball turner. The long rod was clamped into the holder and rotated to produce round and spherical object on the lathe with repeatable accuracy. There should be a device that will grip the shaft somewhere around if you got it in a lot from an auction or similar. Good luck and hope that helped.

Bob

Hi Bob,
That makes sense.
Unfortunately this is the only piece.
I did purchase other items which don't relate to this.

Interesting.. I will have to search :)

Thanks!
Dan

Is there a part number on it? I notice it's from Ideal industries in Sycamore, Ill.

Ok, I think I got it. This is a tool specifically for cleaning the slots on electric motor commutators, called a slot scraper. here is a modern one http://www.wurtec.com/asp/product.asp?Item=SLSC69

Last edited:
Is there a part number on it? I notice it's from Ideal industries in Sycamore, Ill.

Ok, I think I got it. This is a tool specifically for cleaning the slots on electric motor commutators, called a slot scraper. here is a modern one http://www.wurtec.com/asp/product.asp?Item=SLSC69

very good identification--I figured it was for pulling and cutting or cleaning a slot

I would tend to agree with the slot cleaner/scraper idea. Ideal Mfg. makes a wide variety of electrical use tools. Must be for a mighty LARGE commutator! I have cleaned and scraped a lot of slots but our tools were ground to shape hacksaw blades with a couple layers of tape for a handle.

I don't know much from rebuilding electric motors, mind you, but I do pride myself a bit with being good at research on the Google machine. I find a bunch of odd tools in a roll-away that my dad gave me, some of which he doesn't know what they are, as they came with a toolbox he bought at a garage sale. But I enjoy the sleuth work for a bit, and then come here to learn how to make bigger and better chips.

Back