What Is This Tool?? How Does It Work ?

Thanks for all the replies. What does the lever do. I don't understand what the repair that I will makes purpose will be. So it is hard for me to visualize the repair. And yes I was able to get a. Hardrige 6" 4 jaw independent Chuck at the sale also that has a backplate the threads onto the indexer. Please explain how the shaft collar would work on the repair.
Thanks
Dylan
In post #2, Toolmaster posted a video showing how the indexer is used. The use of the lever is shown 15 seconds into the video. It unlocks and then indexes the indexer spindle.
Nice buy!

Tool master. Could you please explain you solution in a little detail. I can see what the action of the pin is so the fix is hard for me to see. The model in the video you posted had the pin going horizontal and the pin seems to have been vertical and if so the lever dosent seem so have any significant action involving the pin. Also the one I have has a seprate lever that releases the head to then be turned by the broken lever. Sorry if I'm being thick headed.
Thanks
Dylan

On my hardinge that lever is kinda awkward to use , I would just remove it and turn the spindle by hand . It looks like you could make another bar (shorter) drill a new hole behind the original one and use a split pin to hold it there.
The bar is just to turn spindle to next selected index.

The flat handle is only for indexing after the handle on the side releases the locking pin. Inside of the collar that the flat handle turns is a ratchet setup so the spindle will ratchet in one direction. Once the spindle starts rotating you can release the side handle and it will keep rotating until the indexing pin drops into the next hole. Each indexing hole has a setscrew in the back that can be backed out so the pin will drop in. Or turned in to skip that hole. The rear lever is for pulling the 5c collet closed and locked. This device can be used either horizontal or vertical. And the rear lever is not used of a lathe chuck is screwed onto the threads in front.

Thanks for all the replies. I get it now. Yes it is a yuasa indexer. The pdf manual helped a lot as to the lever.
Thanks
Dylan

Back