What Is This Tool?? How Does It Work ?

Playingwithmetal

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone,
I have once again another kinda embarrassing question. I bought a big box of machinist tools at an estate for a lot price. The price was very good because I seemed to be the only one there interested in machinist tools at all. And it was late in the day. Any how I have what I first thought was a dividing head of some sort, but now I am unsure what it is. I also don't know how to use it or even move the parts correctly. Any info would be very helpful. Also there is a small broken piece of the casting that looks very fixable but again I am not certain. I have had no luck fidigiting with the handles or levers and don't want to break anything before I know how to use the parts. There is no writing on it anywhere. I feel silly asking this but you guys have always been so helpful and encouraging.
Thanks
Dylan

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

nice tool and are not cheap. I have an inexpensive indexer and it has worked for what I need. they are limited to usually th 5C collets.

The indexer looks like you can thread a chuck on the nose and also use collets. That is a pricey tool. good stuff.

Not pricey if bought at a yard sale for $50. had to make a handle though.

could repair the lever with 1 side of a shaft collar..drill / tap 2 holes

The indexer looks like you can thread a chuck on the nose and also use collets. That is a pricey tool. good stuff.

Spot on . It's an indexer with a 5C bore , threaded nose for mounting chucks or larger collet closers . Doesn't appear to be a Hardinge but it's a nice piece to have !

Yep it is a busted indexer. You can send it to me for proper disposal. :laughing: Nice score, :congrats:

Chinese copy of a Hardinge 5c indexer, maybe a Phase II. I have bought a few in the $30-50 range. Not as nice as a Harding but still worth every penny.

Thanks for all the replies. What does the lever do. I don't understand what the repair that I will makes purpose will be. So it is hard for me to visualize the repair. And yes I was able to get a. Hardrige 6" 4 jaw independent Chuck at the sale also that has a backplate the threads onto the indexer. Please explain how the shaft collar would work on the repair.
Thanks
Dylan

Back