What is this for ?

jpackard56

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I'm finally feeling healthy enough to get back out to the shop and the weather cooperated. I had been working on a project and since last fall I now have all the stuff inhereted from two brothers stacked in and on top of mine and Grandpa's stuff all in my shop. I had walkways before but now...to say it is beyond chaos would be mild, barley able to get in the door. So box by box I need to work my way in. This looks like it would be useful if one knows what it is for. Any ideas ?
Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_115523706_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210516_115523706_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210516_115423382.jpg
    IMG_20210516_115423382.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
It's used to cut the insulation between starter or generator commutator sections after they've been turned. I was still using one in the early 1970's even though starter and generator rebuilding was limited to cars and trucks of the early 1960's and earlier. By the early 1960's alternators ahd largely replaced generators, and it was less expensive to buy a rebuilt starter then to rebuild them in house.

Here's a link to one on eBay.

Note: The part on the left clamps into a vise. The armature shaft is held in the throat with the proper size collet, and the crank is turned to rotate it. The cutting tool is moved to face the copper contacts. The tool on the right is used after the commutator has been turned to the proper diameter. The armature shaft is laid in the V sections of the tool and the cutter bar is positioned on the mica insulation between the contacts. The cutting tool is positioned just deep enough to relieve the insulation then the handle is pulled to move the scraper between the contacts.

If you look at the pictures in the listing they provide a visual explanation of how the tools work

It's used to cut the insulation between starter or generator commutator sections after they've been turned. I was still using one in the early 1970's even though starter and generator rebuilding was limited to cars and trucks of the early 1960's and earlier. By the early 1960's alternators ahd largely replaced generators, and it was less expensive to buy a rebuilt starter then to rebuild them in house.

Here's a link to one on eBay.

Note: The part on the left clamps into a vise. The armature shaft is held in the throat with the proper size collet, and the crank is turned to rotate it. The cutting tool is moved to face the copper contacts. The tool on the right is used after the commutator has been turned to the proper diameter. The armature shaft is laid in the V sections of the tool and the cutter bar is positioned on the mica insulation between the contacts. The cutting tool is positioned just deep enough to relieve the insulation then the handle is pulled to move the scraper between the contacts.

If you look at the pictures in the listing they provide a visual explanation of how the tools work
Thank you very much !
I kinda wondered if it wasn't somehow armature related because a year ago or so I unearthed an unusual lathe chuck that that I found out was used on electric motor armatures, so likely I'll find the rest of this unit as I dig deeper.
Thanks !
Jim

Back