What is this chuck adapter - square, and with a knurled knob?

Artemetra

Active User
Registered
This looks like maybe a home made chuck adapter, and I have no idea how to use it. It came with my 13x40 lathe, which uses Aloris BXA tool blocks, but it won't fit those. The knurled knob screws off. I'm scratching my head here...Jacobs Chuck with Square arbor knurled.jpg

It looks like a pin vise; just a way to hold a round. With the knurled knob, it'd
be a suitable way to hold a drill against a grinding wheel to sharpen,
and with the knob off, it can be held in a vise.
I've built one or two: mine usually have a file-handle attached, though.

I have a friend who is a gunsmith, and he has a chuck configured somewhat similar to fit into a vise for working on pins, a common chore for a 'smith.

Not to beat a dead horse, but is scares me seeing a chuck key in a chuck without a hand on it.

Well I guess I better not post a picture of my indexer then.

Are there wrench marks on the square? Is the thumb nut on the end dead flat and hardened? Are there any telltale wear marks or scuffs anywhere on it?
Does the groove on the thumb nut fit with any other tool you have ?

-No telltale tool marks but there are some little point marks on either side of square. Maybe from a serrated vise jaw?
-Nothing I have fits it so far.
-Thumb nut doesn't seem anything special. The groove next to the knurl made me think it fit into a yoke or something but I doubt it.
-Tom doesn't it give you a little tiny freakout every time you see a chuck with a key in it on the tailstock? I leave one in there often and it does give that little niggle on each look.
-Seems a little large to be pin vise style, but that might be it.

I may not have received the tool that goes with it, I guess.

Marks from vise jaws or vice grip pliers? Doesn't look like it has been used much.
If I had one of those I might be tempted to use it as a floating reamer holder.
Chuck the reamer up and push on the knurled end using the tailstock. A wrench on the square would keep it from turning.

Back