What is the smallest air compressor for sandblasting cabinets?

Operating a sand blaster (or any high usage air tool) needs to be figured at CFM (cubic feet per minute) and on a large cabinet to gain the best usage probably 15CFM and above will be needed. A small 20 gal tank will drive a gun, it just wont drive it very long. A 60 gallon tank with a 2 stage compressor should put out something in the 15-20CF range.

HF's large blast cabinet is another one of their hidden treasures - its well made, its cheap, and it just works well for a cost of around $200 and you can probably wiggle in one of those 20% off thingies. I have their cabinet with a 60gal tank and a compressor driving 19CFM and I can blast for long periods - the compressor is running constantly, but im getting a good blast of air

I agree, I have a 80 gallon tank and a large 15t series Ingersoll compressor, along with the blast cabinet they work great. Tim

- - - Updated - - -

Why everybody thinks they need a two stage compressor I don`t know. A single stage two piston will give twice as much air as a two stage. It will only go to one hundred and fifty pounds but most shops do not need more than that.

My 2 stage runs 15 cfm at 175 psi, with a 1745 rpm motor, quiet enough to have a conversation when its running. It pays to have a good compressor. The single stage's cant keep up. Tim

Watch the duty cycle on the compressor carefully. I had a twin cyclinder, single stage, "5 Hp" Sanborn compressor that was rated at 11 CFM @ 90 PSI, but only at 50% duty cycle. It could not keep up with the sand blaster and ran 100% of the time. These units are "Cheater Fives"

The compressor I picked up a few years ago, Gardner Denver 2 stage 5 Hp 25 CFM @ 175 PSI has never had a problem keeping up with the sand blaster, even on extended blasting sessions.

Make sure that you have a water trap / filter / regulator in line, I added one to the sand blast cabinet and it used to be always full with the old Sanborn, but since switching over to the GD, and plumbing in the system, no more water at all.

Could be the refrigerated air dryer, or could also be that the compressor is now outside so it draws air that does not have the high moisture content of inside air, OK so a combiniation of both LOL

Walter

I noticed nobody mentioned the air nozzle. Bead blast cabinets are sized by what you want to put in them. What size item do you want to blast will determine what size cabinet you need. The air requirement will depend on what size nozzle you use. The smaller the nozzle the less air you need. The smaller nozzle will take longer to do the same job as a larger nozzle, but if it isn't a rush job, or you're paying someone to blast by the hour, it will do ok. Check out this sight, especially the nozzle match chart.

https://www.texasblaster.com
Thank You,
Excellent information. I thought it was all based on the size of the cabinet. Looking at that chart I do not have much of a choice in nozzle diameters- 3/32" and maybe 1/8" nozzles.
Jon

my humble opinion is: table top blast cabinet needs 5 hp, blast cabinet like you describe it would be great to have a true 7-1/2 hp. its still not a fast process.
seems the most popular compressor is 5hp, 3600 or 3450 rpm motor on an 80 gal vertical tank. dam noisy but least costly. brand ? too many to list and they are all over the map for $$$. location has a lot to do with that as they are heavy and difficult to handle.
Thanks,
I have decided to go with a Trinc model 24, it is a welded 14 gauge steel with a width of 24" and a depth of 18" and a ht of 62". Comes w/a dust collector. The larger size would be nice, but really short on space in shop.
Jon

Back