What is the proper name for the brass guards used on 3 or 4 jaw chuck jaws to protect work piece ?

geardoc

Registered
Registered
Like used in this video to protect the barrel ?

I just want to know the proper name so I can buy a few.

Thanks gentlemen.

I don't think there is an actual name for them or a commercially sold product for that specific use. Usually you just make your own using shim or sheet stock. You can use copper or aluminum as well.

Most local hobby shops sell strips & sheets of brass & aluminum made by K&S that you can cut with sheet metal shears.

Hardware stores also sell strips of aluminum but I think 1/16" or 1/8" is the thinest they carry.

I don't think there is an actual name for them or a commercially sold product for that specific use. Usually you just make your own using shim or sheet stock. You can use copper or aluminum as well.

Most local hobby shops sell strips & sheets of brass & aluminum made by K&S that you can cut with sheet metal shears.

Hardware stores also sell strips of aluminum but I think 1/16" or 1/8" is the thinest they carry.
You can get aluminum flashing at the hardware store ie: 6” X 25” X 0.014” for about 16 bucks;).

Yeah Ken, I always called them shims too. The last set I made are now too galled up to use to part a A2 buttstock bolt to A1 length. The set I have that are good fit my 14" Rockwell, but not this 9x19 Grizzly. I really appreciate the drawing of the feed rod. Maybe I can get my Rockwell fixed and find a 3phase panel at 240 and get everything set up.

You take care and thanks for the leadscrew. It just showed up.

Geardoc,

I'll get back with you next week on a price for the machining for the feed rod if you like. It won't be much.

Back