What Is The Correct Name For This Tool?

I had a leather skive machine that had all 1/4-24 bolts. Did a bunch of searching and found Harley Davidson was the only company that still makes bolts that size and they were not cheap. Ended up just making custom ones on the lathe and made a tap to clean the threads out.[/QUOTE

I believe there was something on davenport screw machines that used 1/4-24 threads. the taps are still on msc for purchase http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Threading/Taps/Hand-Taps?navid=12106035#navid=12106035+4288102712

I had a leather skive machine that had all 1/4-24 bolts. Did a bunch of searching and found Harley Davidson was the only company that still makes bolts that size and they were not cheap. Ended up just making custom ones on the lathe and made a tap to clean the threads out.

I believe there was something on davenport screw machines that used 1/4-24 threads. the taps are still on msc for purchase http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Threading/Taps/Hand-Taps?navid=12106035#navid=12106035+4288102712[/QUOTE]

Hi...Noob here; first post.

I call this an adjustable die-plate. eBay search shows nothing remotely similar.

They are a few similar on eBay, try searching “antique threading tool”. And handy to have around if you do any antique restoration. And from my personal experience in watch and clock making/restoring. It’s a rare occurrence if you find two threads the same! If you have an antique clock or watch missing a nut or bolt there is a good chance you will be making/modifying the threads of the replacement. There might have been a thread standard system in a company but not in the world of horology or with other manufactures.

A good tool to have around. And small, doesn’t take up too much space in a pile. And welcome aboard…Dave.

P1140981.JPG P1140982.JPG P1140983.JPG P1140985.JPG P1140986.JPG

These are the only others I have. The longer is fairly old, the short one is new (unused) and I have no clue what threads are represented in either of them. The seven taps are marked only with numbers corresponding to those on the die-plate. The logo on the India-made plate is interesting, for a modern piece. wlw

I believe there was something on davenport screw machines that used 1/4-24 threads. the taps are still on msc for purchase http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Threading/Taps/Hand-Taps?navid=12106035#navid=12106035+4288102712
[/QUOTE]
30 odd years ago a neighbor gave me a cigar box full of taps and reamers of various sizes. I just counted 19 1/4-24 taps, all US made,several by Pratt-Whitney, in a full range of condition. Some are rough and a few are like new. Looking at the MSC listings It would appear that they should bring a good price but if anyone has a need for one or a few just let me know. Postage is all I want, about $2.74 until the next postage increase.

Hi...Noob here; first post.

I call this an adjustable die-plate. eBay search shows nothing remotely similar. This is beautifully made, and a pleasure to hold and fondle...I have another, smaller (European) version as well...but don't know what to call it so I can go scouting for more information on age, specific use, etc. View attachment 105020
As shown it's 9-5/8" long, 1-1/2" wide; the dies are 1/4" thick; weight is ~11-1/2 ounces. when I got it there was an accumulation of dried lubricant, shop soil, very minor surface rust (mostly at the V-faces & between the die sections) as well as fine shavings in all the relief grooves and threads. All better now.

When was 1/4-24 a popular thread? I haven't determined what the other five dies will cut.

Thanks for looking! wlw
It's a thread chaser.

Back