[Newbie] What Is The Cheapest Way To Convert To Cnc?

Danny Mayes

Registered
Registered
I have a Harbor Freight mini / Sieg X2 and wondered if anyone knows the cheapest method for converting to CNC?

Thanks

Hi, At the present time your only choice for ballscrews is from http://www.cncfusion.com/
Steppers, stepper controllers and electronics packages you can get from several places:

Keling Technology Inc (www.kelinginc.net)

https://probotix.com/

The best software for CNC mill is Mach 3 or Mach 4. If you do not have a dedicated Computer with a parallel

Then you need a USB break out board.

Your total for a CNC conversion is going to be around $1000.00 if you do the work yourself.

If you want to run the mill manually after the conversion then you are going to need a CNC Pendent

http://www.vistacnc.com/

If you are going to pay this kind of money then I suggest you get a mill with extended X and Y axis.

Check out Little Machine Shop.

I purchased the HiTorque Mini Mill and have been doing a lot of research on CNC conversion.

Enjoy

Joe

You can order ball screws from China. I just bought 2- 48", 1- 36" and 1- 24" for $119.00 plus shipping. You can mill your own motor mounts, and a complete 3 axis motor controller package is about $300. An old computer box can be used to mount the controller board, motor controllers and power supply. Send me a PM aid you want any information. I spent a couple of months researching suppliers and getting quotes.

Buying from China is good if you get a good vendor, I have been importing merchandise from China for 10 years
But be warned that there are quality problems so you have to be very careful. Also shipping on heavy items is expensive.

If you purchase individual steppers, controllers and power supplies from Probobix the price for the electronics is around $400.00. Taking a chance on Chinese electronics without a warranty is a risk you must deal with.

If you purchase from China make sure you can get a warranty. But shipping back and forth is an expensive proposition.

I have built several CNC router's and have built the controllers, The last thing you want is to spend a lot of time and money and then have the electronics fail after a few milling operations.

Yes most items are manufactured in China, but if you purchase from a Vendor who stands behind their quality or from a US vendor, they usually quality control the merchandise and stand behind their quality.

I do and I had to replace a lot of defective or bad products.

Hopefully with this info you will be able to make some good decisions on purchasing from China.

Joe

Or - buy a CNC Mill (albeit a bit larger) like a PM45 CNC or something in the CNC used realm. There are deals out there. Just need to take the time and watch for them. The X2 is such a small platform. The Seig even smaller. Once you do the X2 and get it all going, you will just want something larger from expereince. My 3cents (on experience) is to got up 1 to 2 sizes of what you think you need! You'll save in the end.

Of course, what was not asked yet is what you plan to do with it? Aluminum and some very mild steel via very small cutters would be a max for the X2 I would think? Others w/ them can chime in. I think there is an X2 forum on the zone forum. Been there yet?

Back