What Is It? Do I Need It??

Junkyard Jim

Registered
Registered
88774-d065352434bc32d8d7699c57c71336d1.jpg

Ok, I'm not the best photographer, but can anyone tell me what this is used for so I can figure out if I need it ?? It's flat on top and comes to a point on one end. It slides side to side by turning the knob on the other end. I'm not sure what all else it may do. I thought at first it may accompany a rotating vise I bought from the same guy, but it is from a different manufacturer so I don't think it was a set.

I know it's a tool and I should own at least one of every tool made, but I have no clue what to offer the guy and he has no clue what he has so I told him I would do some research.

thanks in advance,
James

It is a tailstock, used as a companion with dividing heads, rotary tables, or anywhere you want to mount work between centers.

Edit: That one looks like it might be adjustable for different angles, but not for height. How tall is it from the bottom of the base to the center of the centering point?

Without it's mate, I would not offer a whole lot. Unless you ave a very small boat in need of an anchor. It's a quality piece , but odds are against you finding one of the items Mr. Korves mentioned with the exact same center height.

But then again, who ever DOES have it's mate, might pay dearly for this half!!

I'd buy it though, just because.......It's always better to have a tool you don't need, than to need a tool you don't have.

What is the name and numbers on the tag? I am sure it is a tail stock

Keith Fenner uses a similar one in his latest video:

Thanks for the info and the video. I called the guy last night to see if he would go out and measure it and told him what I had learned so far. He asked if I would give him twenty bucks for it if he didn't have to go measure it. I'll be picking it up this weekend if things work out right :) For that price I couldn't turn it down.

kd4gij, it says " ATLANTIC MACHINE TOOL WORKS, NEWINGTON, CONN, 2-72100 A2004 ,

I'm hoping it lines up close to the rotary table I got, but after looking at the video, it doesn't really seem to matter too much.

thanks again
James

Back