What Is It Called?

taycat

Registered
Registered
my went on school trip to indusrial museum.
in workshop area he said he saw tool in tailstock that had 3 different bits in, a centre drill, drill bit and countersink.
sounds like handy bit of kit, but he didn't see anything saying what it was.

just showed him pic and yep that's it.
wouldn't mind one of them.
thanks.

A friend of mine gave me one when he was closing his machine shop. I'm looking forward to using it when I get my shop running again.

I was never really interested in one but I can see how much of a time saver it can be making multiples of a part. How accurate are they (inline from the morse taper to the selected tool)? Judging by the set screws I'm assuming they accept straight arbors only? So for a live center you would have to machine the arbor to fit or do they actually sell straight arbor centers?

I never used a tail-stock turret before but I would have if I had one. I have used turret lathes that would rotate tool holders when their tail-stock slide was moved to the end of travel.

Interesting looking toolpost, I am sure it has it's applications but for my use it looks like a whole lot of opportunities for me to stab my elbow on sharp tooling....

The shop where I work has one of these small Hardinge turret lathes with a six position turret, a fantastic little machine. unlike a tailstock turret each turret position has an adjustable back stop that rotates it to the next position when retracted. Sweet

I use it for countersinking and tapping the ends of parts up to 1" Dia. after turning them on CNC lathes. If only using 2 0f the 6 positions you can easily hand rotate the turret back 1 position.
http://www.actionmachinery.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/18910.jpg

Last edited:
Back