What is it called and how is it used?

DaveInMi

Registered
Registered
Anyone know what the wedge with screw is called and how it is used. I'm guessing the blocks are jigs for holding something special. Am I right? What is this special dial indicator used for?blob.jpg blob.jpg blob.jpg blob.jpg

The clamps are probably dedicated tooling for some specific task. I don't recall seeing anything like them in standard tooling.

The indicator is a Last Word by Starrett, but it appears to have the contact point missing. I believe I have one I can send you if that is the case. It isn't a special gage, but a standard DTI. Some people love them, others not so much. I'm in the latter group.

Bottom right is an edge finder. They were made by Moore in Bridgeport Ct. There are many copies.

Search Moore Edge Finder.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clamps are probably dedicated tooling for some specific task. I don't recall seeing anything like them in standard tooling.

The indicator is a Last Word by Starrett, but it appears to have the contact point missing. I believe I have one I can send you if that is the case. It isn't a special gage, but a standard DTI. Some people love them, others not so much. I'm in the latter group.
That makes sense. The indicator is a little stiff. Thanks for the offer. I have others for the same purpose so I won't need your part. Thanks again.

You're welcome. It probably could use a good cleaning if it has sat unused for a while. But that's one of my chief reasons for not being a LW fan. They seem to take more force to move than many other indicators. A clean and lube certainly won't hurt it though.

The wedge clamp blocks can be used with a scale to convert it to measuring gauge.

298e51327cUSp1

298 Key Seat Clamps (Pair)

Key Seat Clamps convert steel rules, combination square blades and straight edges into key seat rules for laying out keyways and scribing parallel lines on round work. Clamps are 1" long x 7/16" wide (25 x 11mm) and have a 7/64" (2.8mm) slot width.

I've seen those Moore Edge Finders sell for &500.00 or more on ebay. They are extremely accurate. I have one, but don't use it much.

Back