What Is Everyone Using For Mill Head Oil?

kf4zht

Registered
Registered
Manual says ISO68 or gear oil. Anyone got recommendations on what works best and hopefully is available locally?

ISO68 is a viscosity index. It says nothing about the other properties of the oil. "Gear oil" could be a whole lot of different things, not all of them good for a mill. Assuming you are talking about a gear head milling machine, find some ISO68 hydraulic oil, preferably AW type (anti wear additives), or ISO68 spindle oil. Hydraulic oil is sold at Tractor Supply and tractor dealers. Spindle oil is available from machinery dealers and the usual suspects like ENCO, MSC, Travers, KBC, etc.

Bob is spot on, ISO 68 is slightly less viscous than SAE 30 oil (see chart below). I use hydraulic fluid for the anti wear and anti foam additives as Bob noted. All auto parts/farm stores should have a variant on the shelf.
upload_2015-11-20_6-27-5.png

I tried 80w90 gear oil in my mill but it foamed way too much. My shop is not heated full time so my machines get below freezing in the winter. The ISO 32 suits my climate (theoretically) better and is what is on the shelf so I would use it anyway.
upload_2015-11-20_6-45-50.png

I run Mobil Vactra No2 ISO 68. I am in So. Cal so the shop stays between 55 and 90 degrees year round. I keep Vactra 2 and velocite 10 (ISO 22) for the mills and lathes. Enco stocks these and seems always have x% off and free shipping. Molyibdinum disulfide grease for high pressure bearings and bushings. We are a long way from if it sticks -- WD40.

Back