What Is A ==========

Perhaps each of us has a slightly different idea of what seat of the pants means.

My first career was spent on the drawing board, in engineering design. It was my great fortune to work with true master machinists--no, magicians who could build anything I could dream up. My second career, in boat building, had me building whatever I could dream up. Now, at 72, I don't know how much more seat of the pants I'm going to get, but I am a novice machinist, just starting out. The photos show my first fabrication I built, to my own design, (a sailboat boom end fitting) on my ancient Index Super 55 mill with 12" Troyke rotary table.

boom-end-1_zpsddpmy27u.jpg
boom-end-2_zps3zdnsrog.jpg

Odd, That's much of what I can claim for myself. Joiner at Trumpy's Yacht
Yard, restorer of high end European cars, (The Liberal Arts Garage), H- A -
Rebuilder of old machine tools, Etc. I admire your work. BLJHB.

Good thread. Almost a taboo subject for me ha ha! I find the cultural differences between Australia and America amusing. In Australia we historically don't like to openly celebrate our people who would be SOTPM as you would say. Exceptional / smart etc people are often derided,(sports persons excluded) not in a entirely mean way but if you have an ability to do things others can't do or find difficult or just blatantly can not comprehend they will often pick on you for your ability. Tall poppy syndrome I think it is referred to.
I actually find it difficult to think of my abilities without just seeing my short comings. Coming out and saying that I'm great at something is almost alien!
Anyway it is good too see people who are able to do great things and share them with others. The American way of being able to stand up and say I'm good at this also helps I think in sharing your knowledge with others.

Back