What is a AA 109 capable of? Should i buy one?

Be very careful with stuck bushings on the change gears! They are very weak in tension. I have broke two of them, and they can be a real pain. They are made out of a strange metal, probably zamak, that is like concrete. It is very weak in tension, but comparatively strong in compression. That means that your gear puller must bear against the bushing/sleeve, not the shaft. Replacements are available on Ebay, but they are pricey. Note that you do not need these stupid sleeves to make another one on the Craftsman 109. In fact, that can be your first project. :rofl:

It's not the bushing on the leadscrew it's a steel one that holds 2 of the change gears on the adjusting arm with the slot. I forget what the arm is called if I ever knew it's name. But the steel bushing is stuck to the zamack bushing so when I try to turn the gear train by hand the gear either unscrews itself or tightens up and locks up. I oiled it heavily last night and hopefully it will come free today. I still need to find a manual and screw cutting chart. I was planning on repainting g it but that will wait till I get it up and running.

I have a gear cutting chart in a pdf as well as a parts list my email is artbouvier@hotmail.com punch me an email and I'll send you what I have

I got the bushing off i used my drill press as a press and pushed it out of the gear the gear and bushing were both ok i polished the steel bushing with some 1200 paper and it spins free now. I got everything working and made a motor mount and got it running it needs a new belt but it runs. There is some play in the leadscrew it seems the only way to remove it is to move the handwheel on the end of it but someone put a cupped setscrew in and then used the hand wheel loose so the wheel is stuck on the shaft in its current position ill fix that tomorrow. Im also planning on making a quick change tool post for it and adapting a 3 jaw chuck i have. I would like to show some pictures but i always use my phone or kindle and have not been able to figure out how on these. This is the first time i have ever used a 4 jaw or lantern tool post and it was not fun

Back