What I have been doing with my PM45-CNC

Chip guard... LOL: After 30 years of the high-tech industry, I'm going low tech. I've got a whole bunch of 1/4" plywood and I'm going to cut a few different height pieces and will make simple bases maybe out of wood or scrap aluminum. I'll position them wherever I want. I was thinking of using magnetic bases but I really hate wiping swarf off of magnets. I'll probably have two individual fixed size, side shields and a couple varying heights (to clear the head) for the back side. I left room under the sub-base of the pedestal to be able to store them there.

BTW Bos, really good work for not having prior machine experience. I can't imagine what you're going through. If you ever have questions about metalworking stuff (feeds, speeds, how to get different finishes, welding, heat treating, lathe work, surface grinding etc) just ask. I share everything I know, no holds barred.

Ray

I did a quick Google Image search today for Chip Guards on Mills. and basically saw three styles.
1. the portable shields that do not try to contain 100% are positioned to block the swarf based to the specific job. it looks like you would typically have two or three in play for most jobs
2. The pan with sides and also front and back like what Bloomintonmike showed. BTW great tip to use Cardboard to model before fixing anything.
3. Full enclosures like what you would see on a high end production system.

I think I am going to explore option 2 but make it easy to remove a panel without compromising the entire structure.

thanks for the ideas.

Well, it has been a steep learning curve but frankly, that is one of the things I like. I have a strange attraction to learning how to do stuff that I did not know before. I am sure I will ping you for some of your experience. I try to post questions in a thread so if there is anyone else like me they can benefit.

Can't wait to try the lego code.

I have been making changes to the code to improve surface finish. I have not tested it yet. POssibly this weekend. when I do, I will post the revisions.

Back