What I do for fun....1911s

dclevinger

Registered
Registered
For a number of years I made my living building custom 1911s. Now it is more of a hobby that I hope will turn into more of a full time business. I really enjoy the welding and machining side of it. Here are some pics of one of my favorites.
IMG_0826.jpg
Stainless Colt Enhanced. I welded the frame rails and machined them to a slop free fit.
IMG_0823.jpg
Ball cut slide with match bushing, stock barrel.
IMG_0825.jpg
Point pattern serrations and dovetail front sight.

I hope this is ok for my second post. Anyway, thanks for looking. Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

David

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

nice work!!!

if i were to only have one choice in sidearm it would be a 1911, hands down.

are you starting with stock frames and customizing? or you starting with frame blanks?

Thank you very much for the compliment. I use both the factory frame/ slide and aftermarket makers such as Caspian, Les Baer, Wilson, etc. It depends mainly on what the customer wants.
Most of the time I take a factory Colt or Springfield and build from that.

Nice stuff! have any more pictures?
Welcome!

looks like a good carry piece , I would add ambidextrous safty

looks like a good carry piece , I would add ambidextrous safty

For carry, an ambi safety might catch on clothes or stick out and print. I don't think this is a carry gun though, too pointy.

Thanks guys. Here are a couple of other projects.
IMG_4541_zps481d0556.jpg
Lightening cuts on a 2011 slide. Cut at a 15 degree angle to match the rear serrations.
aecabaa7-4a92-431f-a390-d67ab05fd5d0_zps09934b2b.jpg
Mildly customized Colt Defender.

IMG_4541_zps481d0556.jpg

aecabaa7-4a92-431f-a390-d67ab05fd5d0_zps09934b2b.jpg

Nice work! I just bought a mill and a small lathe to try my hand at some gunsmithing projects. My first projects will be an 80% lower for an AR Build, then I want to make a cribbage board for my girlfriend out of aluminum. I also want to try a 1911 cutom build, but that is down the road.

Back