[Newbie] What have I purchased????? It is heavy and I wanted it for the XY movement and a rotary table ??????

Bobbycoke

Registered
Registered
What is this.........advertised as an 8 inch rotary table with indexer............. no name on it consignment shop said seller thought it was made by YUSA of japan but the handles look like palmgrin to me? bobbycoke

P1130800.jpg

P1130800.jpg

P1130799.jpg

P1130801.jpg

P1130802.jpg

P1130803.jpg

P1130804.jpg

P1130805.jpg

Someone put a bit of time modifying it for some operations on a job. Fine index and large stops.

It's definitely a Palgram (sp) rotary table. I have one just like it. Of course with out the funky ratchet thingy that has been added to the RT. It was sold under the Sears no name brand back in the days.
Nice find!

Yup a combination X/Y and rotary table.
Those handes look distinctive, but I don't know who made them.
As others have pointed out someone spent some time building some add-ons for a particular job; the little fixture table, the pawl and the brake.
-brino

EDIT: looking and thinking more, a new unit should have three crank handles; one for X, one for Y, and one for rotation.....
I wonder if the disk with detents, the pawl and the brake were to replace a broken/worn worm gear drive.

Brino that's what I am thinking I will figure out more when I clean it up a bit and take off the add ons to see what I got.....wanted that third wheel for the rotary but bought it from the internet the day after surgery at home resting [so I can blame it on the drugs ].........well still fell I did ok $150.......BC

I sold a 8" NOS X Y rotary table for a friend. IIRC, it was about 1960 vintage, new in the box, with all the accessories and paperwork, as shipped, no rust or staining. Decals said Craftsman, but it was built by Atlas, their name was cast in the bottom, and was in the box that had been drop shipped from Atlas to the original owner, still with the original shipping tags. It had the same quality and finish as the Palmgren X Y RT has, which is not much to recommend it. It was definitely not suitable for machining metal unless very light. In fact, I find just about all of the Palmgren stuff and much of the Atlas stuff to be marginal for machining a mixed bag of normal hobby shop sized steel parts. Overrated. (Fireproof pants and ear plugs <ON>.) I sold the RT a couple years ago for $400 firm on CL, and it sold pretty quickly. Had to go to church afterwards and repent...;)

The newer import Palmgren stuff is not even worth looking at, IMO, at the prices they are asking.

Here's a picture of my Palmgren 8" X-Y rotary table if it's of any help.

DSCN2617.JPG

DSCN2619.JPG

DSCN2621.JPG

Have one like that downstairs also. Bought it for $25 when a friend of a freind's co-worker was cleaning out his dad's barn.

Back