What Does Made In U S A Mean?

Well big surprise today. I do a lot of aluminium filing, usually with a 6" bastard single cut. Even though I use chalk it is always pinning and I keep clearing with thin strips of hardwood.

Well I found that Nicholson makes a file especially for Aluminium. I live in a small city and figured my chances are zero to find one. Called my local industrial supplier and he said yes he has two 10". A bit bigger than I wanted but a least they had them. Went in to pick it up and noticed that on the heel it said "made in USA". I said wow the last Nicholson I purchased a year ago is made in Mexico.

I commented and said how great is that made in USA. He smiled and said next week is the 50 year anniversary of this store that his Dad and Mom started, AND they have been in stock ever since the store opened. He said they are over 45 years old.

He told me over the phone that he could give me a deal on two. My buddy builds experimental aircraft and is always working with Aluminium, so I said how much for two. He said one is $17, you can have two for $22. He can't wait to tell his Dad he finally sold not just one, but two.

I just tried it and it cuts fantastic, no pinning. You can remove material quite quickly and if you hold the file differently get a fairly nice finish.

For anyone interested the model number for the 10" is 00047N.

David

Last edited:
I swear by their 07917N for aluminium
Loaded up with wd40 it cuts real fast and leaves a very good finish.

Back