What Does Inc Stand For On My Mitutoyo Caliper

tackit

Registered
Registered
Can someone tell me what INC stands for on my Mitutoyo caliper? In the upper left hand corner of the picture. thanks

Mitutoyo.jpg

Incremental would be my thought as well. Not sure why on a caliper, but.......

Incremental mode can be zeroed with a gauge then when measuring multiple parts will tell the operator how big or small of the target size it is,, this is useful for employees that have little or no skill at taking measurements. It will read +.oo something or -.00 something, removes a lot of the actual thinking and associated mistakes.

Last edited:
Wreck is correct. I had a set like that years ago. well until an apprentice dropped a part on the display and broke it in pieces.

Thanks for the education guys, it's puzzled me for a long time.

My $9.99 Harbor Freight digital caliper doesn't say INC, but it works that way. Set zero on a .500 gage block and measure drill rod, It shows plus or minus whatever.

I never thought of using it for that. Thanks.

My $9.99 Harbor Freight digital caliper doesn't say INC, but it works that way. Set zero on a .500 gage block and measure drill rod, It shows plus or minus whatever.

I never thought of using it for that. Thanks.
If you ever program CNC machines be extremely aware that they have an absolute mode and an incremental mode, absolute is the way most drawings are made. However I run some machines with conversational controls that will turn from ABS to INC at the wrong push of a button, this will result in a serious crash.

I believe G90 is absolute, G91 is incremental both are modal and stay in effect until changed by another line or the program ends.

I believe G90 is absolute, G91 is incremental both are modal and stay in effect until changed by another line or the program ends.

I was working toward that as I read your first line. Yeah, I knew that, just hadn't converted my mind to associating G90/91 with a hand held tool.

Back