What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

I used to always just use a pencil and paper, but once I became proficient in Autocad years ago, I use it for most 2d parts or cnc plasma projects. Simply because I can do it faster and more accurately. Plus the ability to print out different views to scale helps with some projects especially if you wand to do simple templates to use with a punch for drill hole placement etc. For 3d parts for the CNC mill or 3d Printer, Inventor is the ticket. With it's ability to do the CAM and output your machines g code file (or and STL for the 3D printer) it's hard to beat.

Q Cad the free version is very good , but it is worth upgrading to the professional for the extras.
I have found this so easy to use. I only use 2D but it will do 3.
Also the instruction book is in a class of it's own. you can learn cad from the basics up. a fine teaching aid.
I do not use the output for G code but I understand it is available.
Brian.

I started using Fusion 360 a few months ago. It is easy to learn and is free for hobbyists. For really simple stuff I still make a hand sketch on the whiteboard next to my lathe and mill and take a photo for later reference. Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used generic cad, autocad, visual cad, catia, unigraphics, and am currently using qcad and cambam to create and cut parts. I've built local business in sketchup for google maps.
Families of parts I draw up in qcad and define the geometry labels so I can print out a pdf with the names to use in apt360. (ancient programming language)
I've just got an aversion to anything I don't buy or at least get a disk for.

Jim

RJ, Thank you for the advice on how to get the trial for Fusion 360.

I downloaded it on June 17 & have playing with it on & off ever since. I have made a sketch of a simple bracket & started to dimension it.

I still have to the learn the basics of the software & this has opened a whole new world for me!!!

I am an 'old school' guy & this technology is going to keep my brain working & definitely improve my hobbyist skills!
Here is the site for Fusion 360:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/try-buy

Download the 30 day free trial. Once you have downloaded and installed, you will be notified of the time remaining. You can register for the unlimited free use providing you are: 1. a student, 2. an educator, 3. a hobbyist. 4. a startup business (<$100K/yr profit). The free subscription is limited to 1 or 3 years but can be renewed.

Info on setting up free subscription:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...-or-educational-licensing-for-Fusion-360.html

Re providing personal details in exchange for free software, nothing is truly free. IMO, it is a small price to pay to get some quality software.

I am now learning about all the YouTube videos & the support system this software has.

It varies......

Electronic circuits and schematics - KiCad
Mechanical and assemblies - ZW3D
Woodworking CNC- VCarve Pro or VCarve Cut 2D
CAM - SprutCam, VCarve
Somethings just require a pencil and some graph paper.

Robert

I use Amish-Cad 1.0, a 8-1/2" x 11" piece of paper and a #2 pencil, pretty soon I'm going to upgrade to Amish-Cad 1.2, which also includes an eraser.

We have very few Amish here in Downunder, but it sounds very similar to my Outback Cad. I've got 2 or 3 pencils, 0.5 and 0.7 mm clutch type and a number of erasers, I seem to use more erasers than pencils. We don't use that size paper here because we're metric, so it's A4 210 x 297 mm. aka 8.27" x 11.89"

At the end of the day I use what works, " If it aint broke, don't fix it".

Good luck,

Bob.

Back