What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

View attachment 134700

Well it has finally arrived. 2 1/2 months ago I ordered a new lathe. A Liang Dei LD 1216GH, Picked it up yesterday (Fri) morning and installed it in my garage. I'm now a very happy chappy. I've still got a bit of work cleaning it up, all the grease they put on before shipping. The lathe comes from Taiwan, and is very well spec'd, I hope it lives up to the spec's, if it does it will be a beauty, Gave it a short test run nice and quiet, all the gears change smoothly and easily.

Are you going to draw it up on cad now?

Did your lathe come with a 4 jaw chuck and a face plate. If now as soon as the budget will let you you will want to get at least a 4 jaw chuck.

Dave

Yes 6" 3 jaw, 8" 4 jaw, fixed and travelling steady, face plate, with driving dogs. Live and dead centers, 3-5 Mt sleeve, 13 mm drill chuck Quick change toolpost And I already have a small dividing table. The first project is to make a vertical spindle milling attachment, as I don't have room for a milling machine. I also have a few HSS tool bits from when I was an apprentice back in the 60's, but I want to get some new ones with carbide inserts.

Are you going to draw it up on cad now?

Not yet, I still haven't learned how to use the program, i'm hoping I can find a local trade school that will run a course in the new year.

Bob,

I started a new thread under the "Beginners" forum for your lathe for others to see. You kind of got off subject posting in this section of the forum. I'm just trying to help you out here, don't hold it against me. Ken

Bob,

I started a new thread under the "Beginners" forum for your lathe for others to see. You kind of got off subject posting in this section of the forum. I'm just trying to help you out here, don't hold it against me. Ken

Thanks Ken, I suspected it wasn't the right place for it, But I didn't know how to start a new thread, or where to put it, and how. I'm fairly new here and still stumbling along, glad you were able to fix it.

For simple things a pencil and pad work just fine. For complex or assemblies I use MasterCam or Cadkey. I learned on Cadkey back when it was introduced. I have tried many others but found MasterCam to be easier for me because it was a lot like using Cadkey but better for 3D. I know there are a lot of free ones out there but most are limited as to what you can do. They are fine for the hobbyist though. I am just used to what I have been using through the years.

AutoCad LT 95 Student Version. One old computer in the shop and one in the house. Obsolete fits my budget fine. I'm so old that I think in ortho.

Initially a real big drafting table but in later years I use Alibre design expert 2012. Bought it to do contract design work in the oilfield. First project paid for it all and then some.

I'm old school. I have a drafting table and a drafting arm machine. I usually start with freehand pencil sketches on a quadrille spiral pad. I then take it to Adobe Illustrator to work out the exact dimensions and piece part drawings. If I need an isometric I take it to the drafting table. Generally, isometrics are only needed to demonstrate the design to clients.

But my main tool is a wooden pencil wielded freehand on a drawing pad.

"A pen is just a tube full of ink. A pencil is full of ideas." — Chuck Jones.

Back