What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

Please be specific....
I usually use either AutoCAD 2000 or Autodesk Inventor 2008, mainly because I have access to them. For a CNC conversion, I usually use Inventor and save the 3D part as an IGES, STEP, ot SAT image, then import that image into BobCadCam V26. All three of these programs have a fairly long learning curve, at least for me. BobCadCam does have a drawing capability, but the methods used to draw parts are not similar to AutoCAD, so I have not bothered to learn how to use it, other than real simple features, like a line or circle perhaps.

Hey, another EZCAM user! Don't know what version I started with, but it was old and pre-1997! Can still run it off my thumb drive on an old enough OS. Have the current revision where I work, but I don't do much drawing in it. I use AutoCad 2015 at the moment to draw and design, then the EZCAM for programming.

I run my EZCAM program under multiple versions of Windows on several different computers. Nothing newer than XP, however. It has stayed with me thru many computer replacements. One nice thing about it is that it is totally portable. I just download the files and startup the program. It doesn't have to be installed like so many newer programs. I keep backups on thumb drives because it is a relatively small program. I even have the "SURF", TURN" and even "EDM" modules, but never used them. I do wish it did engraving, though.

There is a text thing on the newer versions. I don't think I have ever used it though. Still have an old DOS based version of an engraving software that does really well. Only problem is there isn't an old enough OS in the shop to run it from any more :(.

Sketches on unused side of printer paper, Turbocad 20 for larger projects and more detail.

There is a text thing on the newer versions. I don't think I have ever used it though. Still have an old DOS based version of an engraving software that does really well. Only problem is there isn't an old enough OS in the shop to run it from any more :(.

I am running XP on most of my computers, but have a CNC running a Machine Master controller with Ah-Ha! based (aka Slo-Motion Controls) software on a pentium/ Windows 98 platform and another CNC running a Centroid controller with PC-DOS 6 on a 486 computer. Two questions: Do you have the later versions of EZ-Cam (which I would certainly like to try), and would you share that DOS-based engraving program?
I have successfully run several old DOS programs on my Windows computers. Up to a few months ago, I was running EZ-CAM 6 on a 486-66 computer under Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) and Dos 6.22. Until the hardware gave out, the software was rock-solid. Unlike the newer versions, I didn't have 6 redundant copies of every file I never needed in the first place taking up most of my hard drive.

Be glad to share the engraving. Yes, we have the latest EZCAM version. It requires a dongle to run. I think you can download and get a trial run. Wont do much code, but will let you play with the rest. PM me with your email for the engraving and will see if it works sending it to you.

Scratch paper ruler and pencil. Compass and protractor as needed.
Mark

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but I'm a firm believer in CAD - Cardboard Aided Design. I have lots of card stock from various things, most particularly one 4"x36" piece came in every box of flooring when I redid my mother's floor. I treat it like sheet metal and bend and cut and tape it together. When something needs more support I use MDF or wood for the same purpose. I build a mockup with my woodworking tools (I'm a bit better outfitted for wood than metal) before taking on the real thing. I often mount actual bearings and shafts and such in the mockup.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Pencil and Paper, mostly, then the cardboard mockup. I see a lot of individuals use the Fusion 360. Sounds like an excellent application; alas, my OS is Linux, so I can't use it :-(. Does anyone use Linux, and if so, is there a favorite 2D/3D application?

Back