1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

Discussion in 'DRAWING, LAYOUT & CAD' started by Nels, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Greebles

Greebles United States Steel Registered Member

City:
    Austin
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Fusion 360!

2. jocat54

jocat54 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Lindale
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I have their free CAD.
    It's about the only one I can figure out how to use to make a drawing. Just use it to make a reference drawing for me and just because.

TomS and uncle harry like this.
  3. fgduncan

fgduncan United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Slidell
    State:
    Louisiana

-Return to Top-

I run an iMac and since I don't do really fancy drawing, I use eazydraw. For 2D work it is GREAT. Easy to use and came with a book to help you learn all the things it can do. It is very easy to use and the author is readily available if you can't find an answer in the book. Also imports and exports to common formats.
    If you are looking for an easy to use but good enough for most purposes drawing program for PC, I would suggest the old ClarisDraw program. I used that on my Mac till they "improved" the system so it wouldn't run old programs anymore. Does not import or export, so what you draw is what you use.

uncle harry likes this.
  4. uncle harry

uncle harry United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Big Bend
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I cut my teeth with Claris Cad on a Mac IIC back in the '90's. It was user friendly and compatible with then current programs in the art field (indoor/outdoor signs in my case). I switched over to Auto Cad for machine design for it's handy data & expanded capability

5. 5.56

5.56 United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    millersburg
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I am learning to use Mastercam X9. It can do about anything you need to do with drawing and programing. The drawback......$2,500 to purchase the 2 axis lathe version.

Nick

6. jocat54

jocat54 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Lindale
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I downloaded the free version of Fusion 360-----------------and I can actually figure out how to make some (really) simple drawings. I think that I'm going to like it.
    Took me a while to figure out how to print my images on my printer though---pretty computer challenged.

bobshobby likes this.
  7. Dirty Al

Dirty Al Iron Registered Member

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Regardless of what drawing program you might use I've always been in favor of "draw what you're going to build, then build what you drew". Getting your project on paper and then looking it over with a cup of coffee can frequently save time, money or foolish feelings!

uncle harry likes this.
  8. petcnc

petcnc Greece Active User Active Member

City:
    Thessaloniki
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Fision 360
    The more I use it the more I like it!

9. accokeek

accokeek United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Accokeek
    State:
    Maryland

-Return to Top-

Up to now, I have been using a combination of graph paper/pencil and SketchUp, but after reading this thread, I'm going to download a copy of Fusion 360 and experiment with that on an iMac. Still building out my shop and installing equipment, so something better than SketchUp would be nice.

10. Mr68gts

Mr68gts United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Eagar
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Solidworks

11. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I started out with Cadkey many years ago but then went to MasterCam X at the last place I worked. I also have AutoCad ( which I found more difficult to learn ) and SolidWorks. Of all the ones I have I like MasterCam for it's 3D modeling. Makes it real easy to see the finished product.

12. jbolt

jbolt United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Solidworks for 2D/3D CAD. HSM Expess for 2.5D CAM & Aspire 8.0 for 2D/3D & 4th axis CAM.

Router Drawing.png Router Built.png

rdean and intjonmiller like this.
  13. Andre

Andre Active User Active Member

City:
    NY
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Sketchup 8 for the very basic things, used to use Fusion 360 but due to a software issue on my PC I can no longer use it. I loved it.

For any serious projects I draft it on paper so I can bring it out into the shop.

14. Reuben Bailey

Reuben Bailey United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Brattleboro
    State:
    Vermont

-Return to Top-

I run Linux Mint for my OS. I like FREECAD - open source, fully parametric, and lots of options on how to do things. It takes some learning, but pretty well worth it in my. view. :)

http://www.freecadweb.org

Also multi platform and outputs in a large number of file types.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    intjonmiller likes this.
  15. burdickjp

burdickjp United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Fairmount
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

I go out of my way to use FreeCAD when I can. Have you played with the CADQuery module? It's awesome.

I currently have a project that is just too complicated for any of it, though. So I put together a virtual machine, installed windows 10, and started playing with Fusion360.

At work I use Siemens NX. It's ridiculous.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

16. Wireaddict

Wireaddict United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Camden
    State:
    Tennessee

-Return to Top-

I mentioned earlier that that I only make rough sketches, not formal prints, for personal mechanical parts but I always document electrical projects of any size; here are some more thoughts on the subject. For simple parts like air gun nozzles, spacers, adapters, fixtures, etc., I probably won't need to make another one but, if necessary, I can easily get the dimensions from the original parts I made since they're still here. If I sold machined parts I'd certainly document them more formally, probably with AutoCad since that's what I'm familiar with. Electrical/electronic projects are a different story; once built, with the wires bundled & mostly the same color run to integrated circuits, enclosed relays & transistors, it's next to impossible to troubleshoot or modify them without a detailed schematic containing component pinouts after a few weeks, even if you're the builder &/or designer.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  17. rock_breaker

rock_breaker United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Yellow Jacket
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Like others; paper, pencil and rule. Turbocad for serious work and details.

18. cvairwerks

cvairwerks United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Justin
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Hey guys, I need some suggestions for some new software. Here are my needs:
    Runs on Linux
    2D only
    Inch native measurements
    Need to export files as .dxf.
    Inexpensive...
    I need to convert a number of drawings that I have in .pdf format to .dxf format so that they can be ported in bulk to a waterjet.

19. burdickjp

burdickjp United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Fairmount
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

Solidedge?
    Draftsight?
    LibreCAD?

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

20. Groundhog

Groundhog United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Salina
    State:
    Kansas

-Return to Top-

If you just need to convert the files (and do not need a cad program) there are a number of pdf to dxf file converters available. Some that are free and online like http://dwg.autodwg.com. (I haven't used that particular program, but have used others.)

21. cvairwerks

cvairwerks United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Justin
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Will look at SolidEdge and Draftsight. I have LibreCad on the machine now and I don't care for it and it runs very clunky. I'm probably spoiled from having run AutoCad, Mechanical Desktop and Catia for quite a while.

Running the files thru a .pdf converter won't work, as these are scans of velum's and stored in .pdf form.

22. rock_breaker

rock_breaker United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Yellow Jacket
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Turbo-Cad 20 Professional. Long time usuer, however not very proficient.

23. Average Bear

Average Bear United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Fayetteville
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

I use Ashlar Colbalt, and Graphite. Works great on a Mac. Now if I could just figure out how to take the next step and convert my cad drawings to cam and produce a product on a a cnc machine, I migh have something...

24. ezduzit

ezduzit United States Active User Active Member

578 Washington blvd #159, Marina del Rey, Ca 90292
    City:
    Marina Del Rey
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

My first career was spent on a drawing board, in engineering design; my second as a boat builder, customizing yachts. Now my drafting table is only used when I wish to scale some of the features, right off the drawing or blow-up, and for complex assemblies, where I need the drawing to help me visualize all the intricate details. Normally I make very quick, thumbnail sketches on a 3 x 5 note paper, with critical measurements noted using my 10' pocket tape and 6" dial caliper. From/on this is created a material list, which I keep in mind while designing, in order to utilize inventory wherever possible.

From these rough sketches and cut lists, patterns or finished parts can be made.

uncle harry likes this.
  25. jlrice54

jlrice54 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Sherman, TX
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I use AutoCAD 2016. I'm enrolled in the welding program at the community college so I'm entitled to a free three year academic license. The last version I actually paid for was AutoCAD R12 which is still on an old computer if it will still boot. I still have my Kurta IS-1 tablet and my Zericon pen plotter.

I just passed my first welding certification, AWS Structural Welder SMAW 1/8" to unlimited thickness. Next semester, it's structural MIG and intro to TIG.

26. bobshobby

bobshobby Australia H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Adelaide, South Australia.
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

That's about where I'm at. I'm not set up for CAD just plain manual machining. Even when I was doing tool making never much went beyond a freehand sketch with a few dimensions.

cheers,

Bob.

27. liaschinko83

liaschinko83 Ukraine Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Odessa
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

parallel ruler, pencil (HB), A4 paper, compasses, protractor,

Ernienoatrainz likes this.
  28. bpudney

bpudney Australia Iron Registered Member

City:
    Adelaide
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

As a long time drafty I always do at least a hand sketch. Then if there are some complex dimensions or shapes, I do it in TurboCad (currently pro20, but the first version I got was 7). Several times I have tried 3D, but I really don't see the need for me. As has already been said us old time draftsmen think in 3D!! I'm actually thinking about resurrecting my old drawing board for use in the shed. Sometimes, for just banging out a decent sketch, albeit with straight lines, square corners and round holes, it would be fine.
    cheers
    Bill

uncle harry and bobshobby like this.
  29. bobshobby

City:
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

G'day John,
    I also downloaded the free version of Fusion 360, I've spent many hours looking at and trying to draw something, without any useful result, very computer challenged and have never done any CAD before.

Can you give any clues where to start, Like how to draw an I beam or H beam. Thanks.

Bob.

30. bobshobby

City:
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

G'Day Bill, how are you I see you are in Adelaide, me too Blackwood area. Recently downloaded Fusion 360 but have no idea where to start, haven't done any serious drawings since mid 60's in trade school.