1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

Discussion in 'DRAWING, LAYOUT & CAD' started by Nels, Jan 23, 2016.

1. rpicinic

rpicinic Canada Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Vaughan
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Try Fusion 360. Easy to learn. And it's FREE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. uncle harry

uncle harry United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Big Bend
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I have used Microsoft Publisher between a temporary
    seat on Mechanical Desktop & buying Autocad 8000. It has a lot more features than word and can be used for presentations to clients. I have since acquired Inventor light 1200 which gives me the ability to submit DXF files for plasma cutting etc. I might look into Fusion 360 since this thread was started.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. hey-bear

hey-bear United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Carrollton
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I used to use Autocad 2015, until I discovered Fusion 360. After a bit of a learning curve it fell in love with it. So easy to make parts with it. And for a hobbyist, it's FREE!

4. ariscats

ariscats Greece Active User Active Member

City:
    Athens
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Thanks very much. I will try it.
    Ariscats

5. tmlesko

tmlesko United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Hingham
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

I agree with "Uncle Harry", graphic ideation on paper is a powerful tool that is a different way of thinking than working through a computer interface. We teach both. For programs, I use Vectorworks and Sketchup Pro.

Tom L.

uncle harry likes this.
  6. lawlessman

lawlessman United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Owego
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I use my tried and true EZCAM v6.xx to sketch up, refine and produce 2d prints and layouts. It is a lot easier to navigate than any other program I have tried (but, familiarity plays a big part), and does 99% of what I need. I have designed a 36 x 36 building, my garage, an entertainment center, dozens of parts and much more with this ol' program. I don't see any need to get anything new or more complicated. If a part I sketch out becomes a part I want to make, I can go right into EZCAM and write a machining program, save it, post it and run it. Sure, it doesn't produce "draftsman" quality blueprints, but I have used the drawings I made to purchase items I designed from other sources, including Chinese manufacturers, so they can't be all that bad.

Paul in OKC likes this.
  7. stevemetsch

stevemetsch United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Santa Barbara
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I use Sketchup Pro 8.
    It gives me good visuals pretty quickly.
    I then go to paper freehand and pick off key angles and dimensions from SU. I do calcs and mods on the paper.
    Sometimes go back to SU.

8. Paul in OKC

Paul in OKC United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Oklahoma City
    State:
    Oklahoma

-Return to Top-

Hey, another EZCAM user! Don't know what version I started with, but it was old and pre-1997! Can still run it off my thumb drive on an old enough OS. Have the current revision where I work, but I don't do much drawing in it. I use AutoCad 2015 at the moment to draw and design, then the EZCAM for programming.

9. dholby

dholby United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    New Alexandria
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Surfcam
    2d and 3d but using it since 1994 then right into post for VMC

10. Gorton mill

Gorton mill United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Otis Orchards
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

My sketches are usually on recycled paper. Seldom do I need (or have the time for) software to provide the drawings I need. A couple examples...added a support to raise the height of my argon bottle to make the flow meter-regulator more accessible. Support is made from mild steel square tubing and flat strap. Measuring took more time than the sketch and the combined time for the 2 tasks was about 15 minutes. Also designed a support to move my 3,500 lb milling machine around the shop during its rebuild. Design required multiple measurements of the mill's base. Between crawling around on the floor and behind the mill, the last thing I needed was to transfer this grime to my laptop or tablet. Time is lost when the final document from which the part will be built requires sketching, creating an electronic drawing, having that drawing revised multiple times, then finally having the part built.
    I suspect this approach is driven because my career started as a draftsman, on a board, in the Maintenance department within an industrial setting. Time was precious and valuable. I needed to convince an operator to stop his machine so measurements could be taken. And going back a 2nd time because I didn't get all the info needed was not an option. I spent lots of time looking, watching, talking to the operators and maintenance craftsmen and doing rough sketches sans dimensions, prior to taking any measurements. When back in the office, there was little opportunity to do a drawing for a 2nd time once pencil met paper. This "restriction" (the time it took to create an assembly drawing plus the detail drawings) mandated that I think thru a design, evaluating risks early in the process. My job was to add value to the Maintenance Department. Having a couple 24 x 36 sheets of velum in the trash at the end of the shift could get you fired. The other benefit of the "restriction" is the end user made less changes and adjustments than are done today when electronic design utilized. Did I make mistakes - oh yes. Were some significant - you bet. Part of a young drafter/designer's learning curve.
    Enough pontificating. The short answer - pencil & paper to capture the thought. At work - the sketch and lots of discussion with the designer before he/she starts the paper to software conversion.

uncle harry likes this.
  11. pandreasen

pandreasen United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Lompoc
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Coreldraw X7
    Too lazy to RE-learn Cad!
    Oh yeah, grid paper first.

n3480h likes this.
  12. bbutcher

bbutcher United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Longmont
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

I usually use either AutoCAD 2000 or Autodesk Inventor 2008, mainly because I have access to them. For a CNC conversion, I usually use Inventor and save the 3D part as an IGES, STEP, ot SAT image, then import that image into BobCadCam V26. All three of these programs have a fairly long learning curve, at least for me. BobCadCam does have a drawing capability, but the methods used to draw parts are not similar to AutoCAD, so I have not bothered to learn how to use it, other than real simple features, like a line or circle perhaps.

13. lawlessman

City:
    Owego
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I run my EZCAM program under multiple versions of Windows on several different computers. Nothing newer than XP, however. It has stayed with me thru many computer replacements. One nice thing about it is that it is totally portable. I just download the files and startup the program. It doesn't have to be installed like so many newer programs. I keep backups on thumb drives because it is a relatively small program. I even have the "SURF", TURN" and even "EDM" modules, but never used them. I do wish it did engraving, though.

14. Paul in OKC

City:
    Oklahoma City
    State:
    Oklahoma

-Return to Top-

There is a text thing on the newer versions. I don't think I have ever used it though. Still have an old DOS based version of an engraving software that does really well. Only problem is there isn't an old enough OS in the shop to run it from any more :(.

15. rock_breaker

rock_breaker United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Yellow Jacket
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Sketches on unused side of printer paper, Turbocad 20 for larger projects and more detail.

Bill C. likes this.
  16. lawlessman

City:
    Owego
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I am running XP on most of my computers, but have a CNC running a Machine Master controller with Ah-Ha! based (aka Slo-Motion Controls) software on a pentium/ Windows 98 platform and another CNC running a Centroid controller with PC-DOS 6 on a 486 computer. Two questions: Do you have the later versions of EZ-Cam (which I would certainly like to try), and would you share that DOS-based engraving program?
    I have successfully run several old DOS programs on my Windows computers. Up to a few months ago, I was running EZ-CAM 6 on a 486-66 computer under Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) and Dos 6.22. Until the hardware gave out, the software was rock-solid. Unlike the newer versions, I didn't have 6 redundant copies of every file I never needed in the first place taking up most of my hard drive.

17. Paul in OKC

City:
    Oklahoma City
    State:
    Oklahoma

-Return to Top-

Be glad to share the engraving. Yes, we have the latest EZCAM version. It requires a dongle to run. I think you can download and get a trial run. Wont do much code, but will let you play with the rest. PM me with your email for the engraving and will see if it works sending it to you.

18. markknx

markknx Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Portage
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

Scratch paper ruler and pencil. Compass and protractor as needed.
    Mark

19. intjonmiller

intjonmiller United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Layton
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but I'm a firm believer in CAD - Cardboard Aided Design. I have lots of card stock from various things, most particularly one 4"x36" piece came in every box of flooring when I redid my mother's floor. I treat it like sheet metal and bend and cut and tape it together. When something needs more support I use MDF or wood for the same purpose. I build a mockup with my woodworking tools (I'm a bit better outfitted for wood than metal) before taking on the real thing. I often mount actual bearings and shafts and such in the mockup.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

20. zuhnc

zuhnc United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Norfolk
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Pencil and Paper, mostly, then the cardboard mockup. I see a lot of individuals use the Fusion 360. Sounds like an excellent application; alas, my OS is Linux, so I can't use it :-(. Does anyone use Linux, and if so, is there a favorite 2D/3D application?

21. TommyD

TommyD Active Member Active Member

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

A couple of beers, IPA's, a pencil and paper.

Bill C. likes this.
  22. Bill C.

Bill C. United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Clarksville
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

I have a question, of all the CAD programs you are using which is the most common and compatible with your CNC machines. Thank you,

23. Cheeseking

Cheeseking United States Active User Active Member

City:
    wood dale
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

Don't know for sure but probably any system that outputs in .dxf format. (Autocad)
    The choice of CAD system should not have direct bearing on machine compatibility. I think it's the CAM system in the middle that needs to work well with both.

24. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Pretty much any CAD program that will output a .DXF, .STL. or .3DS file will work with most CAM programs. I like AutoCAD, but only because I have been using it for years. I am transitioning to Fusion 360 which is nice because it has integrated CAM. As long as you can edit the post processor in the CAM program to be compatible with your CNC software then life is good. Most CAM programs have posts for all of the common CNC systems.

Bill C. likes this.
  25. TOOLMASTER

TOOLMASTER you don't want to know Active Member

City:
    SOMEWHERE
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Reuben Bailey likes this.
  26. Wireaddict

Wireaddict United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Camden
    State:
    Tennessee

-Return to Top-

I still use AutoCAD LT98 that I bought when I took an AutoCAD class though mainly for electrical & electronic schematics. For mechanical work I just make sketches showing all the pieces & dimensions & work from them. If I ever need to permanently document any mechanical projects I'll draw them up on LT98 also although that's not likely since I only use it as a hobby. Because of the age of my CAD software I'm not sure if it'll work with the newer versions of Windows plus I only use Linux [Mint v17.2] on my internet-capable computers so I run A'CAD on an old Win XP computer that runs totally offline & serves me well as a glorified typewriter.

27. TOOLMASTER

TOOLMASTER you don't want to know Active Member

City:
    SOMEWHERE
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

OLD SCHOOL

NIK_0200.JPG

burdickjp, doogledee and uncle harry like this.
  28. uncle harry

uncle harry United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Big Bend
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I did but mine are not as neatly organized. My instruments are Charvoz & many many templates.

29. Finster

Finster United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Fredonia
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Usually I just have a vision and build it as I go. I've always done it that way.

30. n3480h

n3480h Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    George
    State:
    Yukon Territory

-Return to Top-

CorelDraw v9. Orthographic only, but it can save files as DXF, AutoCAD, and a lot of other formats if I ever decided to CNC. Not likely, because I seldom make more than one of anything.

Tom