2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't really studied this, but have found that No. 4, 5 and 6 taps all take the same driver, It is possible that other, larger size taps also come in groups, like maybe 1/4 and 5/16. something to find out about before buying tap driver collets.

Thanks for the info. Following your lead I went internet hunting and found a tap chart that shows size 0 thru 6 are the same shank size. After that shank diameters are different for each size up to 1/2" which is the max size I plan on using. I need to compare tap shank sizes to ER20 collets to see what makes sense.

ER collets are pretty forgiving, they can be squeezed down at least a 32nd, maybe more. Well, one mm or nearly .040 thou.

Last edited:
Did not buy it, had a few months, finally found someone who is smarter than me to figure how this jewel works, and recondition it. I bought all the parts that were badly worn out: bezel, crystal, arms, dials, the felt, and glue.

The gentleman did not want to be acknowledged publicly by name. He did a great job, it is as good as new. Did not have any pictures prior to rebuilding, but here are some pictures of the internal mechanish when it taken apart

My 1236 had one when I acquired it, got spoiled by it. For what I do I actually prefer this unit over a DRO. It is old school, but very effective amd accurate.

Now, I am torn whether to install it on the Jet 1024 or on the SBL 13.

travadial2.jpg
tad2.jpg
tad1.jpg
20171120_101903.jpg

I found a video of the TAD when I was checking it whether it would function at all. Short of posting the entire video, I just took a screenshot of the TAD. As you see, the gentleman who reconditioned it did one hell of a great job.

Screenshot_20171126-171938.png

Last edited:
We used trav-a-dial's during my apprenticeship, in the early 1970s. DROs, while they existed, were not mounted on our machines. One 4 inch spindle Kearney & Trecker horizontal mill had an early DRO, consisting of a myriad tiny glass tubes which lit up to show numbers. All the lathes had Trav-a-dials.

Shars blackfriday sale (20% off--basically free shipping)
1511542350673.png 12" precision level
1511542368051.png 234 precision blocks
1511542380131.png2MT Precision live center
1511542394375.pngknurling clamp
1511542404857.png123 precision blocks
1511542414516.pngautomatic center punch
1511542423672.pngv-block clamps
1511542433017.png4 1/2 x 3 1/2 slotted angle plate

I bought a harbor freight 4x6 bandsaw some years back. I didn't want to get a better one because I wasn't sure how often I'd really use it. After a few weeks, I sold my Dewalt abrasive cut off saw. Over the years I realized just how often it does get used and what an indispensable tool a horizontal bandsaw is... that in mind I sold the 4x6 on craigslist last week to the first guy who came to look at it and just upgraded/received a new Grizzly G0561 7x12. Boy what a difference in size and quality. It cuts beautifully! I like it!
g0561.jpg

I went through the same steps but kept the abrasive saw. It comes in handy for hardened steels that would eat bandsaw blades.
The biggest advantage of the bigger saw is the coolant, makes blades last a lot longer, but is messy.

Greg

I bought the same saw initially, and the motor literally burst into flames. I use my 7 x 12 bandsaw a lot. Your grizzly looks a lot like my central machinery unit.

I was bad and bought three items , six over size 5c collets with plenty of room to machine. A 6" x 1" carbide cutter with1" bore. $5.00 bid won it. And a casting from Mr Pete aka Tubalcain , to add a taper attachment to my logan. When he did his pour he added an extra well I made a comment about buying it . He said it's up for bids , I offered $25. And he said that sounded fair so I'm waiting it's delivery .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back