2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have put a tape next to it when I took the picture, it's a beast!!! Even after tax and shipping it was less than 100.00 I am completely thrilled with this purchase

Received two Germans and a Chinese (EDIT) Taiwanese today. All brand new and never put on a spindle. Bought the package deal on ebay for a nice price.

The Albrecht 100-J2 and the Roehm Supra-1 are really nice and are 3/8" capacity. They are smooth as glass and will be used for small bits since both they start at zero. Of course the Albrecht is at the top of the heap. I will use the Albrecht in my mill for small bits and the Roehm in my lathe.

Wasn't that familiar with Roehm but it appears to be a solid player and it has the quick action which I like.

Not sure where the Golden Goose will land. It is not a bad chuck just not in the same league as the other two. BTW, I assumed it is Chinese. Could be Taiwanese for all I know. EDIT: Golden Goose is made in Taiwan.

chucks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed a bid on publicsurpluss.com for a Chicago Dries&Krump 72" finger brake rated for 14 gauge mild steel. Well I won the bid and headed to Gilbert Az this morning after shift. I took some cribbing and rigging items to get the heavy brake loaded onto the dump trailer. The guy was kind enough to use their forklift but reminded me that its up to the buyer to arrange moving and loading. The brake was already outside when I arrived and I noticed they had forked it from the bottom portion of the upper beam clamp:(.

My plan is to unload the machine and reconnect the upper beam and check operation and bend quality. I'm hoping nothing is "sprung" and any fine tuning can be achieved with the three tensioning members and shims. If it proves not to be a boat anchor, I will completely tear it apart, sand blast and repaint. I will also upgrade the rear cranks.
Sorry for the long story, but everyone should know how to pick/lift a brake:).
Paco

A machine in the approximate size and visual condition is for sale in my local craigslist, 3300.00, they don't come up too often around here, this one is probably a bit more pricey than typical. I think you got a good deal, even if you have to part it out

Local auction. For three dollars I bought "foot warmer", a piece of soap stone, 12" by 12" by 1" thick. It will eventually be cut down to make a small 'oven" for heat treating. I can heat a tool inside it with an oxy acetylene torch, it will contain the heat making much quicker heating. With the added features of no fires and no oxidizing.

Today i had some time so i visited couple of tool markets, i was looking for an used caliper but they were all stuck or rusted so i decided there on the spot to give this china digital caliper a try, also bought this led headlamp and couple of good quality threading taps, they were expensive but should last more.
DSC_0001.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back