2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
you do have a way, consider the mit set your master, test that against your Chinese set. so ring the mit, then do the same for the Chinese set, and validate. do a few different block configs randomly. Don't reuse the same block unless you find your off and want to find out which one.

Ok, when I get a chance I'll unwrap & clean all the Chinese ones & test them out. I'm not sure what that is going to tell me though cause the Mitu it set is one grade higher. Not a fair comparison no? For a fair comparison I should have both sets in the same grade?

Ok, when I get a chance I'll unwrap & clean all the Chinese ones & test them out. I'm not sure what that is going to tell me though cause the Mitu it set is one grade higher. Not a fair comparison no? For a fair comparison I should have both sets in the same grade?
I'm hoping it'll tell you how accurate your set is it will show you the tolerances whether they're met or not yes you should expect some off but within the tolerance, right?

Not today, yesterday - my small (1.5 HP direct drive, 24L / 5-gallon tank) compressor finally gave up due to overuse, picked up a "spares or repairs" replacement on EvilBay as it was a) cheap and b) just down the road.

compressor motor side scaled.jpg

Not big, not clever, 100L / 25 gallon tank, parallel twin compressor, 2.5 HP (at a guess) but a step up from the burnt-out one and looks like all it needs is a replacement run capacitor as the original had exploded (so far...) and some fittings. I'll hunt up a better intake filter to quieten the inevitable noise a little!

Dave H. (the other one)

Today i visited the local flea market, i bought the typical shop consumptives, like carbide inserts, cutting oil, and bought those two electrical pliers the ones i have broke last week, other thing i bought was this tapered reamer and this square handle or extension its 9 mm square, not sure what is meant to be used for.
DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0009.JPG

Been trying to get one of these for a while now, finally I got one at an awesome price. Just my luck too, popped up the day after I lost the bid for a used one. BNIB for $288 shipped. :)

20171009_131620.jpg
20171009_131701.jpg

Got me a new Facom hacksaw. Facom hacksaws are pretty expensive compared to others but I like them for some reason. Thanks to ebay I finally got one for a good price. My old one has served me well, nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to try the new version since I wanted a second hacksaw.

20171009_120200.jpg

Older 603E next to the newer 603F
20171009_131747.jpg

Today I've been all over town looking for M8 x 0,75 taping die, i also bought this die handle, looks like older good quality tool, it came also with an sharp M8 std die. The M8 x 0.75 tap was 3 times the price of the tool holder.
DSC_0002.JPG

I've been wanting to replace the sloppy stock chuck on my cheap lil Craftsman benchtop drill press. I wanted something better but couldn't justify spending 2/3 to even more than what the whole drill press cost.

Thanks to another Ebay flash sale, got me a brand new Accupro chuck made by Llambrich Spain for $41 shipped.

20171009_143300.jpg

Original chuck measured .0025" runout at best if I fiddle with it. Actually better than I thought, this is the first time I ever measured it.
20171009_144146.jpg

Spindle taper measured about .0004".
20171009_144320.jpg

Now here's the shocker, the Llambrich/Accupro chuck measured about .0007"! That's better than the chucks I use on my mill! Llambrich is known for their low runout on their chucks but I totally did not expect this on one of their ecomony chucks! That's nice but doesn't mean much since this drill press still has cheap sloppy spindle bearings. Well at least it makes me feel better.
20171009_145315.jpg

They make great quality chucks & not a lot of people are familiar with them. I've seen videos online of people measuring them showing almost no runout at all but I never thought anything about it. If & when I need a new chuck I'm definitely getting me a Llambrich.

Bought a chrome grill for the 93 K1500 Blazer I'm restoring after being off the road for 4 years . Not machine shop related , but my shop related ! :)

I bought a new Rohm chuck today. I think I got a killer deal. Maybe not. D1-5 mount 3J. Shipped to my door $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back