2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paco, you have some mighty fine welding and fab gear! Wish I lived closer so I could come over and borrow some of it from time to time!!

I have a hankering for a small lunchbox Tig. I have an old Miller Econo Twin HF that I inherited from my dad. It's TIG function on it is not that great and I don't stick weld anymore since I have a Millermatic mig. I had a Miller Thunderbolt for years until it died on me. So I have been resisting the urge to launch into the studies for a TIG cause that would result in a purchase in short order.

I did buy a new Miller Digital Infinity helmet a few weeks back. Finally got the contraption of a headband adjusted well. I got a deal with a 60 buck rebate from Miller.
upload_2017-9-20_9-6-50.png

Thanks Alan,
To think it all started on Christmas 1987 when my wife gifted me a Millermatic 200, 4" Makita grinder and a 14" Makita chop saw to start my side work.
My first TIG was an Econotig that served me well for a decade.
Your hood looks to have a nice viewing area. The head gear can be a PITA to get just right. I'm looking for a decent magnifier "cheater" lens for my Speedglass 9002 so I can ditch the glasses. Those things give me a headache while the hood is up. Gotta love the Miller rebates.

You have a good woman Paco. Look what her start catalyzed!

Yeap, the Infinity has the largest viewing area in the Miller lineup (and of the competitors as I understand it.). BTW, they also sell cheaters for it!

My oil came in! I have used this stuff for years. I have an aerosol can of it but I bought a new can to replace the one that developed legs and walked off sometime back. This is good stuff. In the my plant operations past this stuff was in every maintenance shop on the site.
IMG_20170920_112525.jpg

Hey Alan,
My oil can also just came in, looks just like yours! Also picked up a Llambrich JK-130 R-8 keyless drill chuck with an integrated R8 shank complements of Zoro's 20% off sale. It replaced my Glacern R8-DC500 keyless chuck which was pretty decent, but the metal arbor fractured inside the chuck. A bit too dangerous too use anymore. The Llambrich drill chucks I have found to be well made and they work very smoothly, the TIR is just under 0.001" which is almost as good as my old Jacobs 14N keyed chuck.

20170920_204028.jpg20170920_210406.jpg

Hey Alan,
My oil can also just came in, looks just like yours! Also picked up a Llambrich JK-130 R-8 keyless drill chuck with an integrated R8 shank complements of Zoro's 20% off sale. It replaced my Glacern R8-DC500 keyless chuck which was pretty decent, but the metal arbor fractured inside the chuck. A bit too dangerous too use anymore. The Llambrich drill chucks I have found to be well made and they work very smoothly, the TIR is just under 0.001" which is almost as good as my old Jacobs 14N keyed chuck.

View attachment 242204View attachment 242203
Hey man what led ring did you use?

Ring light is an auto 100mm Angel Eye Ultra COB ring light that operates off of a 12VDC supply. I machined a low profile aluminum carrier ring and inset just the LED light ring (no lens) into the carrier ring and held in place with some silicone glue. The LEDs are already sealed in the light ring. There is a thin vinyl insulating layer between wire connections and the ring to prevent shorting. The spindle carrier ring is about 1/4" thick and larger then the spindle so the light ring recess diameter is larger then the spindle diameter, the inner porting of the carrier ring is stepped to about a 0.075" thickness to fit onto the spindle. The carrier ring is a snug fit on the spindle and held on with a small allen set screw. A larger ring light also decreases shadows when using a chuck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-100mm-12...-Ring-Fog-Light-Bulb-Waterproof-/262663813946

Hey Mark,
I suppose you went through that gallon of rapid tap already :congratulate:. Your gonna need a flame locker for your collection of oils:grin:.
Nice chuck too. I picked one up last year (Precision Mathews) on Amazon for $175 and used Discover points to cover the cost.
Your LED setup is second to none just like your builds.

Postman started delivering tooling for the Bridgeport CNC mill I picked up last Saturday. Still more coming . . .

First is an ER32 chuck on an R-8 arbor with a set of collets from 1/8" - 3/4" from CDCOtools.com. Makes tooling changes easier on the Bridgeport since it doesn't have a power drawbar (yet). Also got a 5/8" eyebolt, 5/8" to JT3 arbor for a 0-1/2" Jacobs chuck for the mill and a dedicated 3/4" wrench which will be for the drawbar and about every other bolt on the Bridgeport.

Bruce

20170921_094955.jpg 20170921_100017.jpg 20170921_150737.jpg 20170921_162708.jpg

Bruce, what do you think about the stuff from CDCO? Their pricing is attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back