2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a new Millermatic 252 to have a back up in the shop. In the past I always had two MIG machines incase of issues but in all honesty, I only had one machine break down in 30 years. Any how, Miller is offering a $300 mail in rebate and that brought the price down to $2200. The freight truck arrived at 5:30 pm and I quickly picked it and started unpacking it.
View attachment 241509 View attachment 241510 View attachment 241511
Broke out a new 30# spool of .035 and installed the stinger, ground cable, hose and regulator. Pulled a full bottle of 25/70 shielding gas and plugged her in.
View attachment 241512 View attachment 241513
Miller was generous with a power cable and cord cap (about 10'). It also came with a 15' M-25 stinger.
View attachment 241514
Took some 1/4" scrap and tried her out. I was so excited,I forgot to put on my cheaters so go easy on me. My first bead with this machine nice and hot (21.0V and 375 wire speed).
View attachment 241515 View attachment 241516
She's right at home with her big brother!

View attachment 241517
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/mig-gmaw/millermatic-252-mig-welder-m00218
Turn and burn!
Paco

You will love that machine Paco. I have the predecessor to the MM252, the MM251 which is basically the same machine with the exception that the MM252 has a sloped and redesigned front panel. It's been a great machine and have put a lot of wire through mine over the years.

Mike

Well the old inerweb had a machine shop auction about 5 miles from me. Well I bid on about 10 -15 items all just cheap bids. I won one a two door metal cabinet, what I didn't know was it was there's a bunch of goodies inside it . I haven't been out but will be going to the surgeon on Thursday at 215 pm. So I plan on getting out early to just get out . If I'm gonna be in pain I might as well do something for myself too. Then I look at the extras my twenty bucks bought. It's on wheels too ones broken but I have a few out in the shop. I figured it would hold my atlas mill easy but heck it may hold the planer . Either way it's at least one I won't have to build and put casters on. The angle plates and other items will get used too. Wish I had more money they had about ten six inch d60 vises . Lots of other tooling too.

Me and my end mills, bought two more, somehow they are the same make and model as previous ones, but i bought them from a different source, they probably are common brand and model.
DSC_0004.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

When I was a lad, the Foreman would take that chuck key out and tap me hard on the head with it if I left it in the chuck....

It hurt a lot less than when it flew out across the factory when I turned the lathe on, it hit someone else and they punched me in the mouth, though :)

Dave H. (the other one)

View attachment 242097

When I was a lad, the Foreman would take that chuck key out and tap me hard on the head with it if I left it in the chuck....

It hurt a lot less than when it flew out across the factory when I turned the lathe on, it hit someone else and they punched me in the mouth, though :)

Dave H. (the other one)

A couple of decades ago I contracted with a 1 man shop to build a complicated & precise plastic folding machine, The owner insisted that the chuck key be stored in the chuck when the lathe was not in use. No amount of discussion would convince him otherwise. Fortunately no one was ever maimed.

View attachment 242097

Dave H. (the other one)

I Used to have learned that too on old machines about 25 years ago.

My lathe has à second mechanica micro switch in the protection cover. As long as it is not closed the machine is completely disconnected from the power source.
It turns on at the last 2 mm when closing and even then I have to use the main switch to turn it on Again.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Purchased a new Millermatic 252 to have a back up in the shop. In the past I always had two MIG machines incase of issues but in all honesty, I only had one machine break down in 30 years. Any how, Miller is offering a $300 mail in rebate and that brought the price down to $2200. The freight truck arrived at 5:30 pm and I quickly picked it and started unpacking it.
View attachment 241509 View attachment 241510 View attachment 241511
Broke out a new 30# spool of .035 and installed the stinger, ground cable, hose and regulator. Pulled a full bottle of 25/70 shielding gas and plugged her in.
View attachment 241512 View attachment 241513
Miller was generous with a power cable and cord cap (about 10'). It also came with a 15' M-25 stinger.
View attachment 241514
Took some 1/4" scrap and tried her out. I was so excited,I forgot to put on my cheaters so go easy on me. My first bead with this machine nice and hot (21.0V and 375 wire speed).
View attachment 241515 View attachment 241516
She's right at home with her big brother!

View attachment 241517
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/mig-gmaw/millermatic-252-mig-welder-m00218
Turn and burn!
Paco
Congratulations on that new Miller Paco. I love the length of that stinger - Niiiiice!

Do you use Miller's recommendations for heat and wire speed? Or is that something you honed yourself. Is the new machine consistent with what you are accustomed to in that regard?

Congratulations on that new Miller Paco. I love the length of that stinger - Niiiiice!

Do you use Miller's recommendations for heat and wire speed? Or is that something you honed yourself. Is the new machine consistent with what you are accustomed to in that regard?

Thanks Alan,
The charts are always a good starting point, but its the sound and puddle quality that really help me dial in a MIG (any quality MIG). The new 252 welds like the 350P in all aspects with the exception of pulse mode. Pulse mode took me a little while to understand back in 2006. Pulse welding has a sound of its own with the ability to control the weld bead profile. This makes it perfect for production welding with little to no spatter cleanup or grinding down a bead.
The 252 is a back up and will mostly be used in the automotive side of the shop. Its nice to have the ability to weld 22 gauge-1/2" and they both can share the 30A spool gun.
I also have a very nice TIG set up for those "special" jobs but really use the MIG 98% of the time. My field welding days are mostly behind me as I prefer the shop life, but I still have a Miller bobcat 225 with 220 hours stuffed in the conex box. For those little outside jobs around the property, its hard to beat my little 110v Lincoln machine with a 10# spool of flux core wire. This little work horse had pushed at least 20-30 10# spools in its life with zero issues and a hand full of tips. The last 2 piece of welding equipment I own is a Miller LMSW-52 spot welder capable of 3/16" and a Miller Thunder blot for hard facing buckets. Perhaps one day I will unite the gang for a family photo and share it in the "show me your welders" forum.

Very nice looking machine. How loud is that new pump?
Much quieter than my old sears unit. You can actually hold a conversation standing nearby the running unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back