2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that. I wrote that. All I was saying is that there is a better way. Never mind the next owner, I wouldn't want to use a defaced tool.
Yesterday I saw an Albrecht chuck with a big W carved into the nose shell. A small engraving will work for ID. And, one should think of future resale value in case you want to sell and buy a new version. They're on Ebay all the time. Why carve big ugly marks into a nice Starrett wood case, on the top?

I understand that. I wrote that. All I was saying is that there is a better way. Never mind the next owner, I wouldn't want to use a defaced tool.
Yesterday I saw an Albrecht chuck with a big W carved into the nose shell. A small engraving will work for ID. And, one should think of future resale value in case you want to sell and buy a new version. They're on Ebay all the time. Why carve big ugly marks into a nice Starrett wood case, on the top?
Again, these guys are trying to protect their tools from walking off, or being able to recognize them from a distance. I don't mind their engravings. Sometimes I admire how well they engraved something, or the flair with which they did it. I also would like to think that while the original owner may be gone, that he'd like to know that his tools are being cared for and used. And because a STARRETT is so expensive, you definitely want to make sure that it's marked.

Agree that they are/were protecting their significant investments in tools by marking their ownership.

They likely don't really care what others thought or would think later. Unfortunately it does tend to affect the value of the tools for resale. In my opinion, it is often an indicator of pretty heavy use which also would affect what I'd be willing to pay.

Unfortunately, a mark doesn't prevent theft, just ID at a workplace with so many tools around.
I prefer to buy tools without major markings. Small name or mark is oK, but a big ugly gauge, I pass.
I returned an Albrecht chuck like that. The seller hid the large mark on the nose shell. It was a huge initial mark, H.M.
So always ask about marks when buying used on a website., unless you like marks. ;)

I don't have a problem with it. I have a number of marked tools. It works for both sides. I have a marked tool that is a quality tool I got at a good price.
Capitalism at work!

Who cares what the tool looks like. I buy them to do a job. So long as they are accurate and work like they are supposed to.
I don't buy tools to show how nice they look.

Emilio, while I'm on the same page with you I'm not on the same paragraph & others may be too. I buy a lot of used tools. I prefer to buy tools with no personal markings on them. I'll pay more for something clean unless it's a really good deal. Less than 1% of my tools are engraved, probably less than that, I think I only have 2 tools that have personal markings on them & they are not names, they are either a control # or dept #. Others don't care about markings, perfectly fine. I'll only keep a tool that has someone name on it if it was someone I personally knew.

Personal marking can somewhat deter theft, that is in the work place. A good thief can make it disappear. But like others have commented, when working in a big shop or whatever you sometimes have to mark tools. When I was an auto mechanic, as much as I didn't want to, I marked all my Snap on, Matco, etc stuff cause we had much of the same tools. Stuff that was easy to distinguish that others did not have I did not mark like my pneumatic tools. I marked my hand tools discretely like you. But everyone's not the same. When I worked in electronics repair it was a big company, people like to walk off with things. Placing your mark big & noticeable is more appropriate in that case, so it's easily seen by you & others. Easier to just glance at a big mark, without having to confront a person & inspect the tool for you mark, no one likes to be accused.

Who cares how people mark their stuff, it's theirs, they're not thinking about resale value. As long as it doesn't affect the functionality of the tool it doesn't matter. Everyone is different, you can't recommend someone on how to mark their own tools. I don't mark any of my machining related tools cause I don't use them for work, but still I'm not thinking about resale value. My tools may resale when I am gone, at that point I don't care & won't know.

As for that Albrecht marked HM, you should of kept it & resold it here. "Albrecht chuck for sale, custom engraved Hobby-Machinist". ;)

Brought a Delta Rockwell 24" scroll saw (model 40-440) I saw on a internet classified site over here. Turns out the guy was just up the road from me.
IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

Also turns out the guy is into casting as well, but is leaving the country so when I say I want it to make some patterns for metal cast he through in some sand mound fettling tools as well.
IMG_3492.JPG
Obviously into a level of casting well above my present state - which is getting a rough chunk of metal in a shape which is easier to machine down to what I actually want. But gives me something to aspire to.

Last edited:
Hope you enjoy your "new" saw! A neighbor of mine was trying to get rid of one several years ago. I posted here, hoping to find it a good home. Unfortunately, I had absolutely no room for it, and other members were in pretty much the same boat (or too far away - kinda like you!) I guess it went for scrap :( The neighbor has since moved away.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/save-this-one-from-the-knackers.23032/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back