2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got home from the auction for a local school and picked up this for $ 150
Thought it was a good deal.
Needs a little cleanup, ground clamp, and nose piece for the gun.
It has a place for a spool gun hookup, but I believe it is only DC.
This will hopefully replace my 12 yr old HF Dual Mig 151.

View attachment 228429

Nice find and with optional spot pulse panel!

I have been studying bandsaws for 3 months. Looked for used ones, studied specs til blue in the face, and gave it all up today.

I bought an Ellis 1600. I'm excited about it and hope to have it next week. BTW, noticed that Jet has now cloned the Ellis.
View attachment 228593

Allan, your gonna like your Ellis. Use a C-clamp when cutting angles to keep the material from pulling to prevent teeth from breaking. Don't over tighten the cam-vise as this will lead to disassembly and resetting the star adjuster.
Edit: I hope you went with the screw type vice....Way better holding.

Allan, your gonna like your Ellis. Use a C-clamp when cutting angles to keep the material from pulling to prevent teeth from breaking. Don't over tighten the cam-vise as this will lead to disassembly and resetting the star adjuster.
Edit: I hope you went with the screw type vice....Way better holding.
Paco, based on your and Brad's earlier feedback , I also bought the screw vise.

I wish I had that advice when I purchase my 1800 some years back. I have two cam-lock vises and now a new screw vice. Good for you, your gonna love that dry cut saw.
When I get home I'll send you the brand of blade I'm currently using. Picked up two on eBay for a song and dance and they have cut everything from solid steel bar, aluminum and tubing with no clogging. I think they are 5/7 by Bacho. My general purpose Ellis blades work great except on aluminum. I always run the speed on the slowest speed. I have also rebuilt the down feed cylinder for under $20. Original bearings and the saw lives outside but covered, very well built machine.
http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.c...dscom/Content/PDF/Bahco Bandsaw Catalog 6.pdf

This arrived today for me. Not an expensive tool, but just a cheap trammel for comparative measurements at work. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic in a mine. Also for drawing large or small circles. I can scribe, pencil, or use a soapstone in it. image.jpeg

I bought a file, chip brush and a protractor from HJE.

I bought a 1" R8 end mill holder so I can use the 1" end mills I bought the other day. I bought those because I didn't like using the 1/2" end mills I bought a week ago to replace the 8MM end mills I bought two weeks ago to replace........ oh forget it. Check with me tomorrow.

I bought a Clausing 8520 today, in very nice shape. I did very well on that one.

I also bought from the same person a SB 9/10 taper attachment. That I took a beating on:(. I was checking out the repair made on it, and didn't notice the hair line cracks on the gib screws. I can't re-sell it, so I'm going to have to braze it and retap it. At that point I would probably not use the original screws (missing from this unit), but I have from my current cross slide. I don't have an oxy/acet unit, only mig, so I'll have to bring it to someone to get it done.

Has anyone ever repaired a cross slide that's been abused by over tightening? I don't believe it will be a problem if repaired well, since the gib will do the sliding. I think the real issue is re-flattening the bottom plate of the cross slide and preventing it from cracking again. For the few times I will need and use it, I may just use my current cross slide until I need to do tapering.

Pics of both will be coming. The Clausing is now in pieces so I could get it out of the van and down the basement. I never did take pics.
The clausing will go through a rebuild to see what I need, I already see I probably need bearings on the idler pulleys, or they need to be dimpled in, as the outter race is spinning (either from being too loose or because it's starting to go bad), it doesn't feel gritty, but it is not as loose as expected.
I need to see why the quill does not return to the top on it's own, I don't see where the spring is on this unit. I'll need new felt wipers. There didn't seem to be any backlash??? How is that possible? The screw is in beautiful shape, all fat at the tops. Lots to do... Gotta get the knee apart, I took the table off, but left the knee intact, now have to pull that apart.

The unit just has an on off, so I have to get a drum switch to reverse it.. I may even go 220 after reading what Finster said about his motor under 220.. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/smoked-my-8520-mill-motor-today-crap.56998/#post-469052

Last edited:
I've always had a fondness for vintage tools. When I got into metalworking several years ago I found myself shopping for vintage vises. In the past few years I have picked up a couple of 1940s craftsman vises and an old prentice. What I have really been looking for is a big old Reed. What I have found is that apparently there aren't many in my neck of woods. The few I have found have been broken and abused. The only others is see are on eBay and the freight is just too much to make it attractive.

Well.....I was checking Craigslist earlier this week and found this hidden away under "vice". Turns out it was just a few miles from my house. Now it has been happily relocated to my shop! :) A Reed 106R -weighing in at over 130lbs! It's a monster but it's as smooth as silk. Restoration doesn't appear to be necessary, probably just a clean up and some fresh paint.

IMG_2373.JPG IMG_2374.JPG IMG_2375.JPG IMG_2377.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back