• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Did You Buy Today?

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
you do have a way, consider the mit set your master, test that against your Chinese set. so ring the mit, then do the same for the Chinese set, and validate. do a few different block configs randomly. Don't reuse the same block unless you find your off and want to find out which one.
Ok, when I get a chance I'll unwrap & clean all the Chinese ones & test them out. I'm not sure what that is going to tell me though cause the Mitu it set is one grade higher. Not a fair comparison no? For a fair comparison I should have both sets in the same grade?

woodchucker

Ok, when I get a chance I'll unwrap & clean all the Chinese ones & test them out. I'm not sure what that is going to tell me though cause the Mitu it set is one grade higher. Not a fair comparison no? For a fair comparison I should have both sets in the same grade?
I'm hoping it'll tell you how accurate your set is it will show you the tolerances whether they're met or not yes you should expect some off but within the tolerance, right?

British Steel

Active User
Not today, yesterday - my small (1.5 HP direct drive, 24L / 5-gallon tank) compressor finally gave up due to overuse, picked up a "spares or repairs" replacement on EvilBay as it was a) cheap and b) just down the road.

compressor motor side scaled.jpg

Not big, not clever, 100L / 25 gallon tank, parallel twin compressor, 2.5 HP (at a guess) but a step up from the burnt-out one and looks like all it needs is a replacement run capacitor as the original had exploded (so far...) and some fittings. I'll hunt up a better intake filter to quieten the inevitable noise a little!

Dave H. (the other one)

GoceKU

Today i visited the local flea market, i bought the typical shop consumptives, like carbide inserts, cutting oil, and bought those two electrical pliers the ones i have broke last week, other thing i bought was this tapered reamer and this square handle or extension its 9 mm square, not sure what is meant to be used for.
DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0009.JPG

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Been trying to get one of these for a while now, finally I got one at an awesome price. Just my luck too, popped up the day after I lost the bid for a used one. BNIB for $288 shipped. :)

20171009_131620.jpg
20171009_131701.jpg

Got me a new Facom hacksaw. Facom hacksaws are pretty expensive compared to others but I like them for some reason. Thanks to ebay I finally got one for a good price. My old one has served me well, nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to try the new version since I wanted a second hacksaw.

20171009_120200.jpg

Older 603E next to the newer 603F
20171009_131747.jpg

GoceKU

Today I've been all over town looking for M8 x 0,75 taping die, i also bought this die handle, looks like older good quality tool, it came also with an sharp M8 std die. The M8 x 0.75 tap was 3 times the price of the tool holder.
DSC_0002.JPG

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I've been wanting to replace the sloppy stock chuck on my cheap lil Craftsman benchtop drill press. I wanted something better but couldn't justify spending 2/3 to even more than what the whole drill press cost.

Thanks to another Ebay flash sale, got me a brand new Accupro chuck made by Llambrich Spain for $41 shipped.

20171009_143300.jpg

Original chuck measured .0025" runout at best if I fiddle with it. Actually better than I thought, this is the first time I ever measured it.
20171009_144146.jpg

Spindle taper measured about .0004".
20171009_144320.jpg

Now here's the shocker, the Llambrich/Accupro chuck measured about .0007"! That's better than the chucks I use on my mill! Llambrich is known for their low runout on their chucks but I totally did not expect this on one of their ecomony chucks! That's nice but doesn't mean much since this drill press still has cheap sloppy spindle bearings. Well at least it makes me feel better.
20171009_145315.jpg

They make great quality chucks & not a lot of people are familiar with them. I've seen videos online of people measuring them showing almost no runout at all but I never thought anything about it. If & when I need a new chuck I'm definitely getting me a Llambrich.

dlane

Active User
50. Cent machine , ied like to see it but your using tapatalk and have not read how to upload tapatalk pics to this site
Got my new machine today Payd five Swedish kronor. Eight kronor is one dollar I bought it for fifty cents!!!! It was sold at an auction that never sells machines[emoji33]

Skickat från min F3111 via Tapatalk

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I really like my "new to me" Bridgeport, but quickly got tired of cranking the knee up and down. Something like having to turn the crank 40 times to move the table 4" gets old really fast! Ordered an Asong Z-axis power feed from All Industrial Tool. Really happy to see the UPS man with this one! I'll submit a separate thread with the installing (already done), it was a bit of an adventure.

Bruce

20171005_175705.jpg 20171005_180120.jpg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I like that pin wrench. Wish mine had replaceable tips. Sometimes too big, sometimes too small, rarely the correct size... :(
That pin wrench looks just like the Stanley Facom one. Anything Facom is expensive.

EDIT: With a closer look it looks it does say Facom on it, I can make out the Facom logo for sure.

Alan H

Ordered two ER40 collet blocks from Arceurotrade. They appear well made - Chinesium of course but with the corresponding price. I sprung for a ball bearing cap since it was quite inexpensive. It is not the same quality as a Maritool cap but it's okay.

These blocks appear to be better made than some 5c blocks I bought off Amazon. I am betting their 5C blocks would be a good thing to have.

It is amazing they show up from the UK in 4 days or less and the shipping is reasonable.

ER40 blocks.jpg

Alan H

UPS man just brought this from my Amazon Prime order. As always, Amazon delivered it in a big hurry but it was a $44.28 dollar lesson.
haimer tip.jpg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
It is amazing they show up from the UK in 4 days or less and the shipping is reasonable.
Ah, they must be getting slow. ;)

Mine arrived in just 1 business day by FedEx. I was shocked!

mksj

Active User
UPS man just brought this from my Amazon Prime order. As always, Amazon delivered it in a big hurry but it was a $44.28 dollar lesson
Also learned the same lesson the hard way when I was using the rapid power feed button and went the wrong way. I bought two replacement styluses figuring if it happened once, it will probably happen again. These days when I use my Haimer, it is always two hands and I never use the table power feeds when it is chucked up. Also super careful with the keyless chuck, and wrong twist and it will drop to the table. At least the Haimer has a breakaway stylus that is user replaceable, other manufactures they need to be sent back to the factory at much greater cost. You will also need to recheck the stylus alignment after the sytlus is replaced.

Alan H

Yes, Mark. I bought two!

One from Amazon and one from ebay (slow boat). I needed one in a hurry so I paid the Amazon premium to get it faster.

MonkMan

That pin wrench looks just like the Stanley Facom one. Anything Facom is expensive.

EDIT: With a closer look it looks it does say Facom on it, I can make out the Facom logo for sure.
You are correct sir, good eyes. I had never heard of this company before.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
You are correct sir, good eyes. I had never heard of this company before.
They are a French company & have been around for a while. Not very popular in the US besides those who are Eurpoean vehicles enthusiast. They're quite expensive & in my opinion some of their tools look noveltyish or too fancy. I do own a couple of their hacksaws though & like them a lot. Expensive though, made in France.

They used to own SK Tools & Facom is now owned by the Stanley Black & Decker group. They used sell Ferrari branded tools. Not sure if they were the official supplier of hand tools for Ferrari though. These days it's Beta Tools that Ferrari uses.

Silverbullet

Same here I leant out my makita 4.5 grinder. it came back with the aluminum head cracked, the lock broken and the thing covered in black goo.
My friend then went and bought a new one for himself, and returned mine in shreds.

I didn't get that. He thought nothing of it. He kinda got upset when I went WTF.

I bought a HF unit because I was unemployed at the time. Seems to work good. I miss the makita though. Might go for a Makita 7" .. I always return it in good shape, or I buy them a new one, and keep the old. I just don't get people who think it's my job to clean it, or replace it.
The reason I won't lend tools at all. I've rented some with large enough deposit to cover replacement . That way I'm covered if they don't like it , they can buy there own. I spend my money on tools cause it's my joy. My shops full of every kind. I don't drink or smoke even don't full around . My wife's for that pleasure and always will be.

Silverbullet

Me was tempted and gave into it. Seems there's these broaching sets at super fanominal cost for a 10a set. Bolton tools is selling the set for $31.88 + $9.00 shipping. A posting on here peaked my interest and led me into the paths of purchase.
So they'll be coming at some point. I'm out of cash but something will come up to get the money to pay the bill. I made $8.50 last Tuesday while I was out to the hospital , did them up before going back in the house of pain. Sharpened the blades after cleaning , lube the joint after adjusting and replaced two rubber bumpers with what I had around. It should have been a twenty buck job but need happy customers to keep them.
Give a little prayer on Wednesday morning I go for a out patient surgery. Next will be mris. God I'm tired

[6]
5 [7]