• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Did You Buy Today?

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Kinda Just moved here , still trying to sort people out , keep reminding myself where I am :confused:
The old one was a 2400 psi Honda 5hp ,Got the PW working 2700psi feels stronger than ever,

Last edited:

alloy

Always looking for the next tool score
Went to a sale not far from me today. Showed a few machinist tools in the CL ad. Was a guy that just had a pacemaker put in and he can't even think about running his machines now.

I got these for $30. Originally he said $35. He really liked to talk so I stayed awhile. When I handed $35 he said here, $30 is enough.

I almost feel like I took him but he wouldn't take any more for them. The chuck is brand new and the stop has a minor mark on it, not enough to affect it's function.

20170922_132555.jpg

Last edited:

alloy

Always looking for the next tool score
I see that. Can't seem to fix it. When I wrote the post it showed up just fine.

I think I got it to show up now, but it's 90 degrees off.

You will just have to turn your computer to look at it :grin:

Last edited:

kvt

Active User
The other problem with loaned tools is often you have to go looking for the person to get them back when you need them. I have pretty much stopped loaning tools out, you want it I come with it, and it comes back with me. Have been trying to build my tools back up for a long time. While working for a company that sent me over to the sand box, my wife and daughter let one of her boy friends use and barrow my tools when I got back he was nowhere around and most of my tools were gone.

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Another package from FedEx for my Bridgeport. Little bit of buyer's remorse, but I can fix it. Quick version, got a standard mill clamping kit with 5/8" wide T-nuts for $47 and free shipping off eBay. The carrier is glass-filled plastic, not sheet metal. Should (hopefully) be OK since it's not taking any load other than dead weight. However, the rods as you can see are whilly-nilly in the case. Well, I recall in geometry we were taught that two points determined a line. Kinda hard for them to stand up straight with just the one constraint. Ah, I smell another POTD - gonna cut blocks to fit in the bottom of the base and drill/chamfer some holes for supporting the bottom end.

Bruce

20170922_170026.jpg 20170922_170833.jpg 20170922_170848.jpg

BGHansen

Oh, forgot to mention that the clamping kit T-nuts have a through thread. First for me as I'm used to seeing T-nuts having purposely damaged threads on the bottom so you don't run the studs into the table. Might be a good thing to check if you're buying a cheap set off eBay. I'll take a whack on the bottom with a ball peen and see what that does.

Bruce

richl

Active User
20170923_102124.jpg
Been trying banggood now and than for different tooling, some good, some not so good.
Dovetail cutters 45 degree and a 30 degree
Facemill, 2" takes the circle inserts, it's not too bad as far as manufacturing goes, things I notice, the Allen screw that holds the head down is too long, there is some sloop from the drive pins to the head, screws that hold in the inserts are questionable... we'll see how it works.
I purchased the face mill because I was unsure if my mill would be able to handle a multi insert 2" head, after a forum exchange here with Bob korvis, apparently my 1956 1hp mill, is rated 2hp by 2017 Chinese standards, so the 20 dollars the facemill cost me is just an experimento_O, hopefully it works :black eye:

Rich

Last edited:

woodchucker

purchased the face mill because I was unsure if my mill would be able to handle a multi insert 2" head, after a forum exchange here with Bob korvis, apparently my 1956 1hp mill, is rated 2hp by 2017 Chinese standards, so the 20 dollars the facemill cost me is just an experimento_O, hopefully it works :black eye:
Let's here back on how it works. I'm curious.

Lordbeezer

Have picked up a few winter projects..12" Seneca falls lathe.12"Logan powermatic.10"Sheldon LWQE.and yesterday a nice 12" long bed clausing 100 mk 3..I'm keeping that one..trading the powermatic for a 10"Sheldon .south bend model c.dalton.dont know model and a small magnetic chuck...also picked up a 10"bench grinder..it's 440v but it looks so cool.

Ken from ontario

Oh, forgot to mention that the clamping kit T-nuts have a through thread. First for me as I'm used to seeing T-nuts having purposely damaged threads on the bottom so you don't run the studs into the table. Might be a good thing to check if you're buying a cheap set off eBay. I'll take a whack on the bottom with a ball peen and see what that does.

Bruce
I got a cheap T nut set just like your with the red plastic holder, luckily mine were plugged, for the few T nuts I made myself I used a small cold chisel with a very small tip (shop made) to sort of damage the threads .I'm surprised yours is through thread. great buy nevertheless.

richl

Active User
20170923_132545.jpg
Not bad, it's not mirror smooth, but it is flat and smooth to the touch. This was hand feed, and I am using the Chinese inserts, which are not exactly concentric and regular in size. This is about 30.00 with head, arbor shafts (.75") and a box of 10 inserts. I'm pretty sure about the price, I would have to check my orders.
Cuts were in the range of 2-3 thousandths, I did not want to stress the head or the inserts.

My verdict, I'm happy with my purchase, I will know more in the next couple of weeks, but right now, I only want and need something that can give me a decent fly cuting that can be cleaned up with some lapping and a stone.

If money is tight, and you would like to try a multi cutter insert, this is a pretty decent lowbuck entry point. Not positive about its long range durability, the hold down screws for the inserts and the pull down holders are questionable, I guess they are replaceable with better ones...
(Edit) cuts were done on some old gummy crs 1018 I had in the shop.

Last edited:

GoceKU

Today i visited the tool market, there are couple of seller offering some old quality tools but most of them are in terrible shape and not worth messing with, but i managed to buy this big lathe dog, not sure what 100 mm i will run in between centers but is nice to have it when i need it, also bought 5 hydraulic short hoses, i'm planning to build a electric hydraulic press in the future and is nice to have them when i need them.
DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0026.JPG

GoceKU

Another day another tools purchase, today visited an machinery seller no luck with buying a mill, but bought this 21mm taper drill bit used, couple tools marks on the shank, but still sharp as new and made in germany, litle surfice rust, next thing i bought was this machinist's square little surface rust, much less then looks on the pictures, not sure how made it, but looked practical.
DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0011.JPG

Zathros

Today the mailman delivered a new joyfull package,
2 wooden boxes for My collets wich Will be filled with foam inlays and cut out to My needs. The boxes inside the wooden ones Will be Used for other needly purposes, like fishing hooks[emoji6]
Recoil mullet and rubber mullet.
Drilgauge and by mistake 20 blades instead of the 2 I ordered and payed for[emoji38]

IMG_1786.JPG

And If i didn’t own Any mullets[emoji12]
Well not too many though[emoji854]
IMG_1787.JPG
About à quarter of the Total Sum is shown in this pic.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

GoceKU

Today i finally managed to find a green stone to fit may bench grinder, i had to drive to a neighboring city to buy it, but now i have a proper stone for carbide, also bought two more end mills, one straight one taper shank.
DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0021.JPG

mmcmdl

For those of us who are , um , somewhat in our later years .................could we start a thread titled " What did I sell today " ?? Or will I get :banned:?

LOL . I just got rid of 1 of my 6 compressors . An empty 2 square feet in the garage . Oh crap , I'm back to buying to fill that empty space !! :)

vocatexas

Iron
Registered Member
I don't have any pics, but....last weekend the wife and I took a little road trip. On a whim we stopped at a flea market we saw. I picked up a Craftsman six inch bench grinder (looks like one of the block grinders) dated 7/60 in very near perfect condition for $30. It still has the original tool rests and eye shields in place. Unfortunately it's missing the outer wheel covers, but it spins up and runs almost silently and the bearings feel as good as new. I think I did okay on that one.

Zathros

Today à backorder came in, party time Again.
À er32 collet 20mm, use this mostly for the new generation bicycle axles to modify.
And Well worth the wait to replace the 150 watts light with à 15 watt green power saving led light. Saved me 90% of the power Used by the former one.
Even gives better light now as à extra.
IMG_1789.JPG

Zathros

Welcome to the tool addicts hub... :D Funny, I didn't start out by being a tool addict, but I have turned into one.
Always has been, and Will be à tool junky.
Counted over 50 hammers.
And I guess I missed à few.

richl

Active User
I've been getting by without one for the last 5 years, I got caught up in the hype here on the forums a bit, so I ordered machinerys handbook and guide 26th edition. The handbook looks brand new, the guidebook was a library copy, doesn't look like it has been used since it was added to the library:D:rolleyes:

20170927_105057.jpg

Rich

GoceKU

Today i visited couple more machinery dealers, no luck finding a decent mill to buy but found couple of end mills to buy, also managed to buy new old euro aluminium socket, i'm missing one on my lathe you can see the holes in the electrical cabinet on the lathe, only bad thing the socket is blue, i need to prep it and paint it.
DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0017.JPG

MozamPete

Active User
Not exactly machining related, but I decided I needed to upgrade my old cordless drill. After a bit of research I decided to go for the new Makita brushless LXT one ....... and then got carried away.

C4AC92BF-D571-44B3-BB33-32B8907CBFE3.jpeg
Cordless hammer drill and impact driver.

8D5E7DAC-C3D4-403E-8DCE-7F42E6DC6C26.jpeg
Cordless angle grinder and reciprocating saw.

Plus a charger, some batteries and a USB supply adaptor for the batteries so that’s my tool budget blown for the next couple of months.

WoodBee

Today i visited couple more machinery dealers, no luck finding a decent mill to buy but found couple of end mills to buy, also managed to buy new old euro aluminium socket, i'm missing one on my lathe you can see the holes in the electrical cabinet on the lathe, only bad thing the socket is blue, i need to prep it and paint it.
View attachment 242755 View attachment 242756 View attachment 242757
Be glad it is only the socket. My whole lathe is blue....
Your socket would blend in perfectly. The upside is it was painted over without removing any gunk. Makes it quite easy to get most of the paint off again [emoji6]
Good find though!
Peter

British Steel

Active User
Be glad it is only the socket. My whole lathe is blue....
Your socket would blend in perfectly. The upside is it was painted over without removing any gunk. Makes it quite easy to get most of the paint off again [emoji6]
Good find though!
Peter
Quite right, anyone knows it should be firetruck red....

When they painted over the gunk did they use an old carpet or. like they did on mine, did they use a dead dog?

Dave H. (the other one)

Container Above bottom breadcrumb