• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Did You Buy Today?

Silverbullet

Well the old inerweb had a machine shop auction about 5 miles from me. Well I bid on about 10 -15 items all just cheap bids. I won one a two door metal cabinet, what I didn't know was it was there's a bunch of goodies inside it . I haven't been out but will be going to the surgeon on Thursday at 215 pm. So I plan on getting out early to just get out . If I'm gonna be in pain I might as well do something for myself too. Then I look at the extras my twenty bucks bought. It's on wheels too ones broken but I have a few out in the shop. I figured it would hold my atlas mill easy but heck it may hold the planer . Either way it's at least one I won't have to build and put casters on. The angle plates and other items will get used too. Wish I had more money they had about ten six inch d60 vises . Lots of other tooling too.

GoceKU

Me and my end mills, bought two more, somehow they are the same make and model as previous ones, but i bought them from a different source, they probably are common brand and model.
DSC_0004.JPG

British Steel

Active User
IMG_1766.JPG

When I was a lad, the Foreman would take that chuck key out and tap me hard on the head with it if I left it in the chuck....

It hurt a lot less than when it flew out across the factory when I turned the lathe on, it hit someone else and they punched me in the mouth, though :)

Dave H. (the other one)

uncle harry

Active User
View attachment 242097

When I was a lad, the Foreman would take that chuck key out and tap me hard on the head with it if I left it in the chuck....

It hurt a lot less than when it flew out across the factory when I turned the lathe on, it hit someone else and they punched me in the mouth, though :)

Dave H. (the other one)
A couple of decades ago I contracted with a 1 man shop to build a complicated & precise plastic folding machine, The owner insisted that the chuck key be stored in the chuck when the lathe was not in use. No amount of discussion would convince him otherwise. Fortunately no one was ever maimed.

Zathros

View attachment 242097

Dave H. (the other one)
I Used to have learned that too on old machines about 25 years ago.

My lathe has à second mechanica micro switch in the protection cover. As long as it is not closed the machine is completely disconnected from the power source.
It turns on at the last 2 mm when closing and even then I have to use the main switch to turn it on Again.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Alan H

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Purchased a new Millermatic 252 to have a back up in the shop. In the past I always had two MIG machines incase of issues but in all honesty, I only had one machine break down in 30 years. Any how, Miller is offering a $300 mail in rebate and that brought the price down to $2200. The freight truck arrived at 5:30 pm and I quickly picked it and started unpacking it.
View attachment 241509 View attachment 241510 View attachment 241511
Broke out a new 30# spool of .035 and installed the stinger, ground cable, hose and regulator. Pulled a full bottle of 25/70 shielding gas and plugged her in.
View attachment 241512 View attachment 241513
Miller was generous with a power cable and cord cap (about 10'). It also came with a 15' M-25 stinger.
View attachment 241514
Took some 1/4" scrap and tried her out. I was so excited,I forgot to put on my cheaters so go easy on me. My first bead with this machine nice and hot (21.0V and 375 wire speed).
View attachment 241515 View attachment 241516
She's right at home with her big brother!

View attachment 241517
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/mig-gmaw/millermatic-252-mig-welder-m00218
Turn and burn!
Paco
Congratulations on that new Miller Paco. I love the length of that stinger - Niiiiice!

Do you use Miller's recommendations for heat and wire speed? Or is that something you honed yourself. Is the new machine consistent with what you are accustomed to in that regard?

firestopper

Congratulations on that new Miller Paco. I love the length of that stinger - Niiiiice!

Do you use Miller's recommendations for heat and wire speed? Or is that something you honed yourself. Is the new machine consistent with what you are accustomed to in that regard?
Thanks Alan,
The charts are always a good starting point, but its the sound and puddle quality that really help me dial in a MIG (any quality MIG). The new 252 welds like the 350P in all aspects with the exception of pulse mode. Pulse mode took me a little while to understand back in 2006. Pulse welding has a sound of its own with the ability to control the weld bead profile. This makes it perfect for production welding with little to no spatter cleanup or grinding down a bead.
The 252 is a back up and will mostly be used in the automotive side of the shop. Its nice to have the ability to weld 22 gauge-1/2" and they both can share the 30A spool gun.
I also have a very nice TIG set up for those "special" jobs but really use the MIG 98% of the time. My field welding days are mostly behind me as I prefer the shop life, but I still have a Miller bobcat 225 with 220 hours stuffed in the conex box. For those little outside jobs around the property, its hard to beat my little 110v Lincoln machine with a 10# spool of flux core wire. This little work horse had pushed at least 20-30 10# spools in its life with zero issues and a hand full of tips. The last 2 piece of welding equipment I own is a Miller LMSW-52 spot welder capable of 3/16" and a Miller Thunder blot for hard facing buckets. Perhaps one day I will unite the gang for a family photo and share it in the "show me your welders" forum.

Alan H

Paco, you have some mighty fine welding and fab gear! Wish I lived closer so I could come over and borrow some of it from time to time!!

I have a hankering for a small lunchbox Tig. I have an old Miller Econo Twin HF that I inherited from my dad. It's TIG function on it is not that great and I don't stick weld anymore since I have a Millermatic mig. I had a Miller Thunderbolt for years until it died on me. So I have been resisting the urge to launch into the studies for a TIG cause that would result in a purchase in short order.

I did buy a new Miller Digital Infinity helmet a few weeks back. Finally got the contraption of a headband adjusted well. I got a deal with a 60 buck rebate from Miller.
upload_2017-9-20_9-6-50.png

firestopper

Thanks Alan,
To think it all started on Christmas 1987 when my wife gifted me a Millermatic 200, 4" Makita grinder and a 14" Makita chop saw to start my side work.
My first TIG was an Econotig that served me well for a decade.
Your hood looks to have a nice viewing area. The head gear can be a PITA to get just right. I'm looking for a decent magnifier "cheater" lens for my Speedglass 9002 so I can ditch the glasses. Those things give me a headache while the hood is up. Gotta love the Miller rebates.

Alan H

You have a good woman Paco. Look what her start catalyzed!

Yeap, the Infinity has the largest viewing area in the Miller lineup (and of the competitors as I understand it.). BTW, they also sell cheaters for it!

Alan H

My oil came in! I have used this stuff for years. I have an aerosol can of it but I bought a new can to replace the one that developed legs and walked off sometime back. This is good stuff. In the my plant operations past this stuff was in every maintenance shop on the site.
IMG_20170920_112525.jpg

mksj

Active User
Hey Alan,
My oil can also just came in, looks just like yours! Also picked up a Llambrich JK-130 R-8 keyless drill chuck with an integrated R8 shank complements of Zoro's 20% off sale. It replaced my Glacern R8-DC500 keyless chuck which was pretty decent, but the metal arbor fractured inside the chuck. A bit too dangerous too use anymore. The Llambrich drill chucks I have found to be well made and they work very smoothly, the TIR is just under 0.001" which is almost as good as my old Jacobs 14N keyed chuck.

20170920_204028.jpg 20170920_210406.jpg

killswitch505

Hey Alan,
My oil can also just came in, looks just like yours! Also picked up a Llambrich JK-130 R-8 keyless drill chuck with an integrated R8 shank complements of Zoro's 20% off sale. It replaced my Glacern R8-DC500 keyless chuck which was pretty decent, but the metal arbor fractured inside the chuck. A bit too dangerous too use anymore. The Llambrich drill chucks I have found to be well made and they work very smoothly, the TIR is just under 0.001" which is almost as good as my old Jacobs 14N keyed chuck.

View attachment 242204 View attachment 242203
Hey man what led ring did you use?

mksj

Active User
Ring light is an auto 100mm Angel Eye Ultra COB ring light that operates off of a 12VDC supply. I machined a low profile aluminum carrier ring and inset just the LED light ring (no lens) into the carrier ring and held in place with some silicone glue. The LEDs are already sealed in the light ring. There is a thin vinyl insulating layer between wire connections and the ring to prevent shorting. The spindle carrier ring is about 1/4" thick and larger then the spindle so the light ring recess diameter is larger then the spindle diameter, the inner porting of the carrier ring is stepped to about a 0.075" thickness to fit onto the spindle. The carrier ring is a snug fit on the spindle and held on with a small allen set screw. A larger ring light also decreases shadows when using a chuck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-100mm-12...-Ring-Fog-Light-Bulb-Waterproof-/262663813946

firestopper

Hey Mark,
I suppose you went through that gallon of rapid tap already :congratulate:. Your gonna need a flame locker for your collection of oils:grin:.
Nice chuck too. I picked one up last year (Precision Mathews) on Amazon for $175 and used Discover points to cover the cost.
Your LED setup is second to none just like your builds.

BGHansen

Postman started delivering tooling for the Bridgeport CNC mill I picked up last Saturday. Still more coming . . .

First is an ER32 chuck on an R-8 arbor with a set of collets from 1/8" - 3/4" from CDCOtools.com. Makes tooling changes easier on the Bridgeport since it doesn't have a power drawbar (yet). Also got a 5/8" eyebolt, 5/8" to JT3 arbor for a 0-1/2" Jacobs chuck for the mill and a dedicated 3/4" wrench which will be for the drawbar and about every other bolt on the Bridgeport.

Bruce

20170921_094955.jpg 20170921_100017.jpg 20170921_150737.jpg 20170921_162708.jpg

Alan H

Bruce, what do you think about the stuff from CDCO? Their pricing is attractive.

BGHansen

Bruce, what do you think about the stuff from CDCO? Their pricing is attractive.
Hi Alan,

I have had no issues for the most part from stuff from CDCOtools.com. The only iffy purchase was a set of 6" caliper jaw extenders. The set screws were really weak, stripped out the hex the first time they were used. Extenders were fine with new set screws. Not a great set of instructions with them either. The instructions were for extenders that are 1/2" diameter rods, but mine are 3/8". The instructions say to zero out the dial with the jaws closed, which is fine if they were 0.500", but they're actually 0.375" between center so the instructions are wrong.

I've been a very good customer of theirs for collets and QCTP tool holders (see attached lathe photos). Must have 75 of the BXA holders which cost $12 or $13 each. Someone did a nice measurement review of the CDCO vs. Aloris vs. Dorian vs. Shars, etc. and didn't see much difference in anything dimensionally. Some guys have reported getting tool holders with bad set screws or all angle holes, but mine have all been fine.

I have their 5-C collets by 1/64" on my Grizzly lathe and 1/32" on the Clausing. No issues with any of those. The Clausing has one of their 5-C plain back chucks on it also.

I've also purchased parallels, angle gauge blocks, protractor, etc. with no issues. I hate to say it, but the Chinese have come a long way in making very good products for a great price. Would love to have Aloris tool holders on my lathes, but at ~$65 a piece, there's no way I could justify that in my hobby shop.

By the way, I've bought a fair amount of stuff from Shars and CME Tools out of Madison Heights, MI with no issues either.

Bruce

20170915_112928.jpg 20170915_112902.jpg

Alan H

Thanks Bruce for the feedback. I bought a set of their 5C's and they were a little rough. I use them often and they seem to work okay and the price was right to say the least.

firestopper

Thanks Bruce for the feedback. I bought a set of their 5C's and they were a little rough. I use them often and they seem to work okay and the price was right to say the least.
I got a set from them a couple of years ago and they where very nice. They ran about $200 for the larger set. I inspected each one and was pleased with the fit/finish and accuracy on the 5C scroll chuck. I guess it could be hit and miss though.
IMG_1267.JPG
This set goes down as one of my best buys for the money.:)
IMG_1268.JPG
Could not detect any appreciable runout.
IMG_1273.JPG
I use this chuck system way more than I ever thought I would. Another good recommendation from mksj.
I'm sure my time will come when I purchase with disappointment.

dlane

Active User
A while back I loaned out my pressure washer , when it came back it was squirting water out the pump seal gasket so I ordered a new gasket , went thru the pump with new o rings and the gasket
Putting it back together and the 4 bolts holding it together were stripped in the housing :mad:.
Guess they figured it wouldn't leek if they tightened the cr***p out of the bolts:confused:
So I ordered this pump to replace it. No more loaning out expensive breakable objects for me.
IMG_0949.JPG
Not sure where it was made but it wasn't china

firestopper

Years back I loaned out my Graco airless spryer with detailed instructions on cleaning and "pickling". Well the next time I need the sprayer, it was DIW!:mad: Fixed it for $300 and now when I loan it out it comes with an operator...:coffee:

Thats a nice looking pump 2700 or 3000 psi? I recently replaced my PW pump as well, I had to add a water inlet filter as well. Turns out after doing a failure analysis during teardown, I found small sand rubies caused excessive ware. Must be our well water. I bet the person you loaned it to allowed it to over idle resulting in heat build up.

Last edited:

richl

Active User
These arrived yesterday, I decided to fit the shop up with an assortment of mics and calipers, instead of constantly walking around from machine to machine trying to figure out where I left them:rolleyes:. Also picked up an igaging 0-1" mic, I have a 1"-2" already, I'm not sold on them yet, they appear to be very accurate, though I just assumed I would be able to lock it in when I hit my measurement, not sure if I am missing something...
Always looking to add USA endmills to the collection, .75" 6 flute cobalt..

20170921_110729.jpg

woodchucker

A while back I loaned out my pressure washer , when it came back it was squirting water out the pump seal gasket so I ordered a new gasket , went thru the pump with new o rings and the gasket
Putting it back together and the 4 bolts holding it together were stripped in the housing :mad:.
Guess they figured it wouldn't leek if they tightened the cr***p out of the bolts:confused:
So I ordered this pump to replace it. No more loaning out expensive breakable objects for me.
View attachment 242260
Not sure where it was made but it wasn't china
Same here I leant out my makita 4.5 grinder. it came back with the aluminum head cracked, the lock broken and the thing covered in black goo.
My friend then went and bought a new one for himself, and returned mine in shreds.

I didn't get that. He thought nothing of it. He kinda got upset when I went WTF.

I bought a HF unit because I was unemployed at the time. Seems to work good. I miss the makita though. Might go for a Makita 7" .. I always return it in good shape, or I buy them a new one, and keep the old. I just don't get people who think it's my job to clean it, or replace it.

richl

Active User
Its a problem, loaning tools, i find it hard to excuse someone breaking yours, buying a new one for themselves, and returning yours broken.
My dad, God rest his soul, would lend me something, and 100% of the time it would break, I would either end up fixing it or buying him a new one:D. I got to the point where I would go thru 50 questions with him before borrowing anything lol
I rarely lend stuff out anymore, why have the hassle, bring it by, or the part and I'll, weld, grind, mill, tap or whatever...

Rich

Groundhog

I rarely loan tools. However, I have a couple of friends that I can loan something to and know that it will be returned in a reasonable time frame and that it will come back in as good (or better) condition as it was in when they borrowed it. I don't mind loaning something to individuals like that.

Alan H

I rarely loan tools. However, I have a couple of friends that I can loan something to and know that it will be returned in a reasonable time frame and that it will come back in as good (or better) condition as it was in when they borrowed it. I don't mind loaning something to individuals like that.
Keep those friends, they are rare.

firestopper

I hear ya gents, If I need to borrow something twice (or rent), I buy it. Lending tools is limited to a handful of friends for me. I also limit this to shop time equipment use. I trust even fewer folks in this arena. Quick story, back in 95 I loaned a car trailer to a coworker whom stated he had a "small tractor" to move. When he returned the trailer the ramps looked like taco shells. I built new ones and he never offered to help with material/labor. Fast forward 10 years, he showed up to work with a new dump trailer and I ask if I could borrow it for a day, His response "my wife doesn't like me to loan out my trailer". I politely thanked him anyway. Knucklehead must have forgotten the taco shells he made me.:bang head:

These arrived yesterday, I decided to fit the shop up with an assortment of mics and calipers, instead of constantly walking around from machine to machine trying to figure out where I left them:rolleyes:. Also picked up an igaging 0-1" mic, I have a 1"-2" already, I'm not sold on them yet, they appear to be very accurate, though I just assumed I would be able to lock it in when I hit my measurement, not sure if I am missing something...
Always looking to add USA endmills to the collection, .75" 6 flute cobalt..

View attachment 242271
Nice buy!
I'm old school when it comes to micrometers, but next time I see Mark (mksj), I'll take a look at the 1"-2" he recently purchased. He turned me on to the iGaging digital calipers and I loved the ease of math when using the zero feature. My 1982 Mittutoyo served me well over the years but the iGaging are awesome.

Container Above bottom breadcrumb